Seeking Help From Across The Pond

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I live in the states, which is a good thing, except when it comes to military policy, healthcare, and unfortunately, Hi-Fi. I love reading about all of the great products in What Hi-Fi? but I am not able to enjoy the wide array of superior Hi-Fi that you all have access to.

So, to my question: I currently am using a Cambridge Audio 540C as my source, a Cambridge Audio 640A as my amp, and B&W 601 S3 standmounters. I am seeking to tone down the sometimes enthusiastic treble of the B&W's while adding a bit of confidence to the bass while at the very least retaining the good imaging and soundstaging abilities of the 601's. I would like to try some small floorstanders, possibly KEF IQ5's (especially b/c of their ability to supposedly be less finicky about positioning) or Monitor Audio BR5's, but I'm also considering B&W 685's. (I can only find the 685s to demo...)

Could you please help me decide what pairing would create the best synergy and offer me a noticeable increase in fidelity and musicality? Thank you for your help!

A

Anonymous

If you like the B&Ws have you thought of trying a subwoofer? They make some great ones in the US.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I wouldnt agree with B&W speakers having a bad tweeter at all. In fact id say they make some of the best tweeters on the mark with regards to mid-range priced speakers.

If you like the B&W sound id stay away from Kef. I dont like the Kef sound compared to B&W speakers. I've had Kef speakers and B&W speakers and i'd stick with B&W now.

The 685's are very good speakers but i also feel that the pairing with your C/A stuff would help with the sound problem. I dont think that C/A has the right sound for B&W speakers and they dont seem to drive them as well.

Not wure what's available in the US separates wise but Arcam and NAD would be a good match.

If you can get decent 2nd hand separates, B&W 602 S2 or S3 standmount speakers are very good.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the overenthusiastic treble is also down to your Cambridge gear. If I were you I would trade it all in and look at the likes of Rega, Arcam, Dali and NAD if you're looking for musicality and sweet treble.

AlanS

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm in the same position - Brit abroad looking to get some decent gear. I have the Cambridge 640v2 CD and Amp and have been looking to upgrade the Mission's I brought over with me. I've found a couple of places in California that sell the Epos range and have the M5 and M12 in stock. These have pretty good reviews, and I've seen this CD/Amp system well reviewed with the M5's. Has anyone used the M12's with this setup and how do they sound?

A

Anonymous

santino.b.it:B&W have bad tweeter. Get one with nice silk dome.

Well, the metal dome tweeters on the B+W 602s3 were truly awful.

A

Anonymous

The Totem line is really good in North America, much more reasonable price points over here.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't understand this fascination with Cambridge and Monitor Audio, B&W is also in my view, a dance speaker, tight bass but no musicality and if the tweeters are poor too then ouch.

Shrill, tight, not musical. Hmmmm. Get some Arcam and ProAc!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts