Secondhand Hi-Fi

T

the record spot

There's been a lot of references to used hifi when shopping around for new kit (okay, quite a few have been mine!), but what have people picked up in their travels on the road to hifi nirvana? Any gems you wouldn't part with, or some you couldn't wait to get rid of?!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The essential warm sounds for Sunday mornings....

b77_main.jpg

A

Anonymous

I used mf's xa1 with xa50 mono-bloc power amp's, 1 got both for 500 pound's, i did sell them on when the upgrade bug struck, it has to be said they had a sound that was very much to my taste, i wish i hadnt sold them...

A

Anonymous

I have to admit seeing the revox deck again, makes me wish I had not sold it, wonderful piece of kit.

A

Anonymous

There's a Nak CR8E lurking in the loft somewhere...doesn't look as cool as the Dragon though!

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
My last secondhand purchase was a Leak 3400 receiver which was I believe made between 1979 - 1982. Can't find to much info on it on the web but the production of the 3000 series was moved from the UK to Japan which may have put some people off buying them.What I can tell you is that it's big - 54cm (21.5in) wide, uses all din sockets including 2 pin speaker plugs and once warmed up sounds fantastic, better than in fact than my NAD C320Bee. Has a better controlled bass and a little more clarity in the mid range. The high trebles can get a bit harsh through my Monitor Audio Bronze B2's. Haven't got any pictures yet but will post some soon. The link to hihigoteborg.se has a fuzzy black and white image and a few details. All in all a very well spent £45.

http://www.hifigoteborg.se/Leak%203400%20spec.htm
Quick edit here's a picture from the eBay listing where I won the Leak. (pic by pmecl5)
d850_1.JPG
I'll try and take some pictures with all the bulbs glowing and post them in the near future.

T

the record spot

Just snagged one of these in the last day; very much looking forward to hearing it when it arrives. Moreso now I know from Clare's earlier post FM's carrying on indefinitely.

Sansui_TU-317_Stereo_Tuner_collage.jpg

Also, that Revox reel to reel brings back a whole stack of memories - their gear was incredibly expensive, but I always had the notion I'd end up with one one day. Never did happen!

Are there any issues with maintaining the machine? Likewise the reels themselves? Is degradation a problem over time? I'd have thought so given the tape is open to some degree.

the record spot:Just snagged one of these in the last day; very much looking forward to hearing it when it arrives. Moreso now I know from Clare's earlier post FM's carrying on indefinitely.

Sansui_TU-317_Stereo_Tuner_collage.jpg

Also, that Revox reel to reel brings back a whole stack of memories - their gear was incredibly expensive, but I always had the notion I'd end up with one one day. Never did happen!

Are there any issues with maintaining the machine? Likewise the reels themselves? Is degradation a problem over time? I'd have thought so given the tape is open to some degree.

Show offs. . . Lol! Definitely first 11.

It's so damn frustrating that I lack the nouse to paste a simple picture. I'm going to sulk now.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
To me, Hifi got a lot better in mid -late 90's so much so that I never ever think about going down classic HiFi route. (apart from Linn turntables and Nakamichi dragon tape player which will be forever classic)

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:There's been a lot of references to used hifi when shopping around for new kit (okay, quite a few have been mine!), but what have people picked up in their travels on the road to hifi nirvana? Any gems you wouldn't part with, or some you couldn't wait to get rid of?!

An Aiwa AD6900 cassette deck from the late 70's,LUXMAN L100 amplifier, celestion sl600

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Also, that Revox reel to reel brings
back a whole stack of memories - their gear was incredibly expensive,
but I always had the notion I'd end up with one one day. Never did
happen! Are there any issues with maintaining the machine? Likewise the
reels themselves? Is degradation a problem over time? I'd have thought
so given the tape is open to some degree.

We
get the Revox serviced by these guys, buy spare reels on eBay and don't
leave tapes on the player when they're not being played (they get
stored away in a dry, dark cupboard). When it's not playing, it sits with some gorgeous red/black empty reels and perspex cover - it's a retro work of art!

T

the record spot

Ahem, whose quote was that again.......?! * cough *

(thanks for the info though
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Talking about old kit, i've got and still use a Trio KA-3700 stereo amp which i purchased in 1978 and if memory serves me correctly it was a budget best buy recommend by what hifi, also used to get hifi answers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have a mixture of kit.

New - CD192, Dali Ikon 6, ProAc Tabs, a few cables, equipment stand, plasma...

2nd hand - tuner, amps, dvd, an interconnect

Really old (18 years) - a Furukawa interconnect (free sub gift with HFC but don't tell Claire or Andrews)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts