Secondhand Exposure or new NAD

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
For my Tannoy xt6f i was looking at these amps (No other Brands). What is the best buy, a secondhand Exposure 3010S2 for 750 Euro or a new NAD C 368 for 800 Euro?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The NAD has both phono and digital inputs so if you need one or both it may represent the best VFM for you. I've not heard a NAD but I did demo the latest 3010S2D which I liked a lot.

If your main requirement is an amp to form the basis of your system, I'd go for the 3010S2. Check out the reviews here - the reviews match what I heard too.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
loneranger said:
Exposure Sounds really better?

How do you compare your'e really better to someone else's view or ears? If you cannot audition in your home with your equipment then it comes down to what other people think. or based on reviews and what appears you are getting for the money - then you make the best informed choice you can in the circumstances.

The Exposure 3010S2D retails at £1700 for just the amp, versus the NAD including phono & DAC at £800. Look at the specs, read the reviews, if you cannot listen to them you have to make up your own mind based on what you need and want.

Personally, I really liked the latest 3010S2D and probably would have purchased it, then circumstances led me to the 3010 pre/power which are in one word - glorious! *smile*

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
If you're looking to connect anything that reproduces music, go for Exposure. Nothing wrong with NAD but it's outgunned in this instance,

matthewpiano

Exposure for me. Their amps are consistently good at putting the music across in an engaging and involving way.

I have lots of experience with NAD amps and they are certainly one of the better makers IMO, but I haven't heard these new models and I haven't got your ears so I can't give you a conclusive answer.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I had, personnaly, Exposure, Accuphase and Nad gear.

The fact is : there is no amplifier sound. Or at least, there is no amplifier sound when using correct techniques and not tweaked amplifiers. What we call "amplifier sound" is the result of a combination of the amplifier and the speaker. In some cases, this combination will pull the speakers perfectly, what you can call "a winning setup", then you will have the best sound possible. And, at the other side, there are poor combinations, that will result in not enough electric power for your speaker, that will lead to a poor sound reproduction.

You can put a Nad on a PMC Fact8, and have a masterclass sound as long as you not push the volume knob. You can put the same amplifier into an ATC SCM50 and have a bad musical experience.

After that, there is something that we call "quality" and "feeling of the material". They are different from brand to brand. It's the reason I came to like Exposure, and it's the reason I came to like Accuphase too. Because hifi is not only with your ears, it's a moment of joy for all your senses.

For your specific question, I will let my colleagues, that know about your speaker, give you a suited answer.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard the new NAD amps, but in the past NAD was always very good with my music, most rock. A little warm what i like with good bass and not so bright as other brands. I'm in dubt because this Exposure isn't from Farlowe who made the best Exposure amps. I mean i've read that current Exposure amps sounds different means brighter.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
loneranger said:
I haven't heard the new NAD amps, but in the past NAD was always very good with my music, most rock. A little warm what i like with good bass and not so bright as other brands. I'm in dubt because this Exposure isn't from Farlowe who made the best Exposure amps. I mean i've read that current Exposure amps sounds different means brighter.

Maybe tell us what amp you are using now, what sources you are using, and the size of your room. And what music you like listening to?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
loneranger said:
I'm in dubt because this Exposure isn't from Farlowe who made the best Exposure amps.

That would be the man who founded the company in 1974.

You might need to adjust your expectations if you wanted him to personally build your amp.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
loneranger said:
I mean i've read that current Exposure amps sounds different means brighter.

The asian models I know are just fine. They are finished well and hold on well. I even found that this builder is particulary sympathic to speak with, when you see the sterile and deplorable relations you could have with some european brands.

I read the same thing than you about the newer Exposure. And I honestly must agree that I don't know which blockhead started with this rumor. Probably the same kind of dude that will tune up his power cable and change his fuses to have better sound performance. I suppose that a good answer to this load of BS is to search in the fact, that, in the old days, the Speakers that were used, where performing differently than the speakers of today. Or that those persons where doign their test in other rooms, that had better(or less) accoustic qualities, so that the Medium and Highs where audible in a diffent way. We call this "a test bias", and it's the major problem in hifi reviews in general.

Little thing before I depart for the bar : in the times, I had the Exposure pre and power amplifier of the classic series. They where, already, from Thaïland and they performed on the same level than a Accuphase integrated. In those times, I started my blindtest era ; and blindfolded with a serious test protocols, the differences where not present. The quality was very honest too, with a good amount of aluminium and brass everywhere you put your fingers on. The electronic was simple and foolproof, so that every drunk radio repair swampshopman could have repaired it. But, honestly, I don't know what they are doing exactly now (quality sure can change with the time, just look at Naim or Linn).

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Maybe tell us what amp you are using now, what sources you are using, and the size of your room. And what music you like listening to?

I have now a Marantz 8004, but for me no more a Jap. I go back to a brtisch amp which for me always sounded the best. Source are a Cambridge streamer. I play a lot of rock and symfonic metal. I can with the Exposure amp always buy a second hand Exposure 2010S2 Dac. Maybe a good idea. About the dac i read good things.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
loneranger said:

I have now a Marantz 8004, but for me no more a Jap. I go back to a brtisch amp which for me always sounded the best. Source are a Cambridge streamer. I play a lot of rock and symfonic metal. I can with the Exposure amp always buy a second hand Exposure 2010S2 Dac. Maybe a good idea. About the dac i read good things.

I home demoed the previous Tannoy DC6T versus the Rega RS3's with a Rega amp. I found the DC6T's more lively, inviting you to party with them. So I can see the new version working well with the music you like, but I wonder how much the source makes a difference here. The full Rega combination was more 'musical' and that suited the music I like, which is a lot of female singers and easy listening late at night. That's why I went the the big open and musical sound of the Rega RS5's.

Home demo's of the Rega amps (Elex-r & Elicit-r) and the Exposure 3010S2D, I found the Exposure the least bright of the 3 amps. I especially listened to a few tracks that can demonstrate brightness - Barbara Striesand for example, and the Exposure showed no hint of brightness whatsover.

The 3010 pre/power I ended up with (I have had them about 2 weeks now) has the same sound signature as the 3010S2D has not shown any sign of brightness whatsover, and I have been slowly working through my music collection. But my pre-amp has the Exposure DAC module fitted which may be similar to the DAC in the 2010S2. I am using my Rega Apollo CDP as a transport only.

Most of your replies have advised you to go for the Exposure 3010S2. This would give you a very good base amp to work from. But unless you can home demo, or someone else has the combination, you need to decide/guess whether the Exposure combination will work for you, or it maybe the Cambrideg streamer that is causing the brightness. Putting another DAC in the chain (such as the Exposure 2010S2 dac) may be the answer. Decisions, decisions *unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts