Second Hand Speakers

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know what the market is like for second hand speakers, I have a pair of floorstanding Castle Pembroke speakers which are surplus to requirements and have decided to sell them, however I have no idea what these would be worth now.......They are probably about 6 or 7 years old and in perfect working condition......

Does anybody have any idea of what I should be asking for them and is a hifi shop likely to take them as part of a part exchange deal??

Somebody help me please.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
2nd hand floorstanding speakers in general do not do too well on Ebay, because of the shipping costs. The only caveat is if they possess some sort of halo-effect (MA RS6s for instance) where they are sought after by the general public.

It would be worth asking a dealer how much he would give you for them (although this would probably depend on how much you are spending with him). If you don't like the sound of his response, try ebay, but beware of setting a low starting price, as you might sell them for peanuts.

Alternatively, try a free ad in one of the local rags (trade-it, ad-mag, loot etc). for the sake of a week, you might get some interest...

T

the record spot

Have a look at exdem hifi - this is a website which captures all, or most, of the current deals, both used and ex-dem in most UK dealers. Haven't a clue about the Pembrokes (what price were they? Were they above or below the highly regarded Severn floostanders?).

Once you've established a guideline value and want to sell privately, Ebay is always an option, but fees are punitive IMO, plus they double dip with both Ebay and PayPal fees knocked off your auction. If you go down the Buy It Now route, you might as well opt for a classified ad anyway and see what happens. At least you know if it sells, you'll not be hit for a fee and if it doesn't you always have Ebay or Amazon as a fallback option.

Part-ex is also an option, but you'll get a better rate selling privately. Get chummy with a dealer though and you might get a generous deal offered (I know that Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh pretty good with their trade-in value for instance).

Horses for courses; Ebay is popular true, but does as much to drive a value down, so if you DO go down this route ultimately, ensure you have plenty of photos that highlight the condition of the speakers, talk them up, include any links to positive reviews you find on the web . Sign up with Auctiva, they offer Ebay sellers some benefits for free you need to pay Ebay for (I use them for mine) and you get three pictures for free whereas Ebay charge you after the first one.

Hope that helps. All the best.

Post edited for house rules - Mods

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your input guys.....

Thaiman - I didnt think they would be worth much more than that, so not far of then.

I hate to see them go and they are cracking little floorstanders, but the bookshelf Richmonds on Stands are more suitable for my current room. and I dont have the space to store them :-(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts