Second hand amps upto £700

Thetelecaster

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Looking for an integrated amp in this price point. I run an m-dac into an audiolab 8200p and I'd swap the amp for an intergrated. So I'm looking for ideas intergrated or valve if it's possible.

Thetelecaster

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
B&w 685 S1 speakers. I'm going to change the speakers too. I want an intergrated to give me the option of an analogue sorce. Never been unhappy so to speak, just a change of direction.

insider9

My suggestion would be to change the speakers first and then get an amp that can drive them.

If you buy an amp first you will be restricting your choice of speakers. Especially if you go with valves.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Naim nait xs 1st gen can be had for that kind of cash (used)if you wait for the right moment.....it's a cracking amp that will drive any speakers in that price range....you might never need another.

Great amplifier.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You may be able to get a s/h Icon Audio amp. Decently powerful for valve amps and good looking imho.

Having said that, the aforementioned Naim is superb.

No problem to have either serviced in the future if need arises.

As a Cyrus user I'm bound to suggest their products too.

Great sound and reliable. Upgradeable (8 series and above) and again, serviceable. Fuller and more fluid sounding than Audiolab.

Not often mentioned ... Densen. Head over to YouTube and although not the ultimate in comparison ... You probably hear how they sound, fantastic. Looks is Scandinavian minimalism, sleek and slim.

A guy on here bought a s/h one recently and loves it.

Good luck :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

insider9

drummerman said:
You may be able to get a s/h Icon Audio amp. Decently powerful for valve amps and good looking imho.

Having said that, the aforementioned Naim is superb.

No problem to have either serviced in the future if need arises.

As a Cyrus user I'm bound to suggest their products too.

Great sound and reliable. Upgradeable (8 series and above) and again, serviceable. Fuller and more fluid sounding than Audiolab.

Not often mentioned ... Densen. Head over to YouTube and although not the ultimate in comparison ... You probably hear how they sound, fantastic. Looks is Scandinavian minimalism, sleek and slim.

A guy on here bought a s/h one recently and loves it.

Good luck :)
Yep, went from Naim and Roksan to Densen. It gave me everything the other two were good at and more.

B-110 will be under budget and at the price is a stunning performer.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
chebby said:
drummerman said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Naim nait xs 1st gen can be had for that kind of cash (used)if you wait for the right moment.....it's a cracking amp that will drive any speakers in that price range....you might never need another.

Great amplifier.

2009 Nait XS here ...

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/latest-pre-loved-stock-23-w.asp

Expensive. Seen them go for around £700 a few times.

Did those vendors give a no quibble 12 month warranty?

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/why-buy-preloved-from-us-21-w.asp

insider9

Good point. I've bought second hand gear from Elite Audio twice now. They are a dealer and only sell second hand gear when they have trade ins. Both last year (speakers) and this year (amp) where one owner from new. Got 12 months warranty on each purchase.

I know they're not the only ones doing it. Yes, it comes at a slight premium but gives not only piece of mind but also no quibbles return if it really doesn't suit.

I would however point out to do your research first and not mess dealers about by buying and returning gear just because you can. Returns are not there for you to have many free auditions :) Only return it if it's faulty other than you just don't fancy it or found something better. We need these guys to stay in business and that would only force the prices up.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
I would however point out to do your research first and not mess dealers about by buying and returning gear just because you can. Returns are not there for you to have many free auditions :)

You are preaching to the choir. I would not dream of shopping in the way you describe above. (I am not called ‘gel’ :) )

I am actually very tempted by one of the UnitiQutes listed on the Tom Tom ‘pre loved’ page. Grrrr. (I wouldn’t have been ‘exposed’ to temptation if I hadn’t been looking for good used Nait XS mk1s.)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
chebby said:
drummerman said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Great amplifier.

2009 Nait XS here ...

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/latest-pre-loved-stock-23-w.asp

Expensive. Seen them go for around £700 a few times.

Did those vendors give a no quibble 12 month warranty?

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/why-buy-preloved-from-us-21-w.asp

No. Mind £300 is a lot to pay for a 12 month warranty on an amp that recent with very good track history of reliability.

insider9

chebby said:
insider9 said:
I would however point out to do your research first and not mess dealers about by buying and returning gear just because you can. Returns are not there for you to have many free auditions :) 

You are preaching to the choir. I would not dream of shopping in the way you describe above. (I am not called ‘gel’ :) )

I am actually very tempted by one of the UnitiQutes listed on the Tom Tom ‘pre loved’ page. Grrrr. (I wouldn’t have been ‘exposed’ to temptation if I hadn’t been looking for good used Nait XS mk1s.)
Apologies, I meant this paragraph as a general remark or more towards OP or anyone who isn't sure what to go for and casts a wide net.

It is a good compromise between new/ex demo and completely a private second hand sale. If I had a choice I'd do it via dealers every time. Unfortunately availability usually is limited.

Thetelecaster

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Have to say I've always liked the look of densen gear and Cyrus has interested me in the past. I had a house mate back about 1990 who had a Cyrus one amp a pink triangle turntable and celestion sl6's and that sounded pretty good. I think that was the first time I'd heard a seperates system, upto that point it was music systems.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
insider9 said:

Unless you need the built in streaming or small form factor the XS will be superior to the all in one. The unitiqute may be all you ever need but the XS is close to supernait performance. Add CCA out the back for streaming if needed.

For most manufacturers portfolios, there is a sweet spot for value for money after which diminishing returns rapidly set in. I think Naim's XS may well be that, for their separates at least.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Unless you need the built in streaming or small form factor the XS will be superior to the all in one. The unitiqute may be all you ever need but the XS is close to supernait performance. Add CCA out the back for streaming if needed.

I wouldn’t dream of recommending the UnitiQute to the OP.

It just happened to be there whilst I was looking for a 1st generation Nait XS for this thread.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:

I wouldn’t dream of recommending the UnitiQute to the OP. 

It just happened to be there whilst I was looking for a 1st generation Nait XS for this thread.

Understand. Neat and tidy.

TRENDING THREADS