Second Hand Amplifier

grandwitch

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Just found my old pair of B&W DM603 Speakers in the roof. The amp is beyond repair but the speakers look like they are in good order so is the cable. Was thinking about getting a reasonably priced second hand amplifier from Ebay or somewhere similar and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I don't want to pay a fortune just enought to power the speakers. Who knows it may get me back into music again.

Thanks

Daniel

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
There always loads of old Rotel, Arcam, NAD, Denon and Marantz amps on Ebay at reasonable prices. If you just want a sound any will do. Though I am partial to a Rotel.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sony ES range, Kenwood / Trio KA or L, Pioneer SA or Exclusive, Onkyo Integra, Sansui AU (high number eg 9500), Crown, Nakamichi, Hitachi / Lo-D, etc etc etc.

Just google a few of the more interesting amps and buy whatever seems to be the biggest bargain.

Check out German ebay as well as UK.

Make sure it's fully working, or that the cost reflects any repair work required.

TrevC

I would favour going for new budget amps rather that dubious second hand 'bargains' on Ebay. As long as you choose something with a reasonable power output, about 40 W per channel or above.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
TrevC or grandwitch, would you like me to drop off one of my dubious £150 2nd hand (£2000 new in 1987) amps at your place to see what you think of it when compared to any other amp you may have to hand?

I can drop off one of my dubious £15 2nd hand (£800 new) CD players to go with it, if you like?

grandwitch

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
No need to convince me. I actually prefer older amplifiers in terms of sound and the way they look. My experiance of modern amsp has not been great although maybe I have just bought badly.

lindsayt said:
TrevC or grandwitch, would you like me to drop off one of my dubious £150 2nd hand (£2000 new in 1987) amps at your place to see what you think of it when compared to any other amp you may have to hand?

I can drop off one of my dubious £15 2nd hand (£800 new) CD players to go with it, if you like?

Tell it like it is son!

Nothing at all 'dubious' about some amps I've bought there either and anyone who avoids eBay for this reason alone is missing out on the ability to get some seriously good kit for very little money. The main reason to worry is if you haven't done your research in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts