Second hand amp (maybe with built-in dac) recommendations please!

peteAllen

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
My parents have tasked me with finding them a new integrated amp. I think their budget is around £200 but might stretch to £350. They would mainly use it for watching TV and listening to DAB radio (via a humax which has digital optical output), as well as an old cd player (only analogue out, but I suspect its days may be numbered anyway). Can't remember the speakers' make, but they have a big warm sound that is rather nice actually. Priorities are that it is good with classical music, small-ish, with low heat.

I'm in two minds between a more recent amp with onboard dac, or some good old integrated which is heavily discounted. Any suggestions appreciated

It doesn't necessarily need a remote, but that would be good

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to find a Teac A-H01 for under £200. Small, Remote Control, 50W Class D (so low heat), built in DAC, optical input (USB and coax also), 2 x Line In, and Subwoofer output.

peteAllen

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks! I shortlisted the

- new TEAC A-H01 @ £239

- second hand Arcam FMJ A22 with DAVE (digital input) @ £279

- second hand Arcam rDAC plus a cheap new T-Amp off ebay (all coming to around £190)

They went for the TEAC A-H01. (Personally I was most interested in the t-amp rdac but hey, they liked the idea of a remote)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing ... the remote does not switch the Teac into standby ... may or may not be a convenience issue for you? Your parents will have to switch it on and off the old fashioned way.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The final version of the classic Musical Fidelity A1 integrated had a built-in DAC.

The amp would be about 5 years old by now, so it should be heavily discounted to around your budget.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts