Search is called off

SteveR750

Impatience got the better of me, I have been tracking various used and ex dem sights, and had a pair opf studio 140MKII lined up at £1400, but checked another retailer this evening, and they dropped their ex dem D18s from £1600 to £1300. I've bitten the bullet, much as I liked the 140s I'm hoping that I will enjoy the 18s as much, if not more. The only downside is they are black ash, so hardly matching furniture in my lounge, and not a particularly nice colour IMO, even back in 1988 when it was the new cherry.

I guess is I don't get on with them, then I shouldn't lose too much if I sell on.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I demoed the D18 last year and the only reason I didn't keep them was a touch of boom, but I don't think it was the speaker at fault, but my listening room.

Think you'll enjoy them... keep us posted.

SteveR750

Well, they arrived about an hour after I left on Friday afternoon to visit my folks in the lakes, so they were sat in my neighbours garage for most of the weekend. So, is th wait worth it, well first thoughts were how the hell do these things work on an uneven floor, as far as I could tell without really looking or reading the manual I can't see that they are adjustable. I guess I am going to need to get a couple of large granite slabs, especially as the new house has carpets. They are also noticeably bigger than the Spendors, but similar weight. Nicely built, though not quite as hewn from a solid billet feeling that the spens have, but no complaints, as spendor speakers are probably exceptionally well made.

I started off listening to a playlist that I created when I demoed the amps a couple of weeks ago, billy burnette and fleetwood mac at 24/96, bit of Keb Mo, Madelien Peyroux and ACDC. Bearing in mind that the whole lot was powered down over the weekend, so the system was cold. My first impressions were a brighter sound, a sharper, livelier top end so cymbals had a biger crash and sounded more metallic; but not at the expense of smoothness, just more lifelike. As the system started to warm up, the sound became smoother, more punchy and detailed. The biggest are of improvement over the spendors is the upper bass / mid, there is a lot more punch which adds a lot more drive and impact. I think for me this is where the spens are weakest, not in the upper mid / treble; it's this upper bass / lower mid that influences the "polite" sound that dscribes spendors.

So 90 minutes in, and I am redicovering new facets, new nuances to all the tracks I am listening to. Separation of intruments is much better, and it's sooo much easier to follow a bass guitar line; on many tracks I would have in the past found it impossible to work out the bass lines to play along, but the D18s make it so much easier. I can see that some might find them slightly bass light, but I'd prefer real notes over chest thumping impact. So initial feelings are pleased that the differences are real and significant.

Definitely worth the upgrade, expecially at the price I paid for them. They actually look quite good in black ash too, better than I'd have thought, and thankfully the description from the shop was spot on, not a mark on them. If there is more to come from them from more running in, then the Caspian / D18 is going to be a pretty formidable combination; hopefully I won't need to change the analogue end of my system for a long long time. :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
With your system turned off and the speakers in the garage, it will IMO, take a day or two to settle down....I think you have yet to hear the best of it.

SteveR750

Phew! They have been playing radio 1 or 2 all day whil I was at work, which wont have harmed the M2 and magic plus either, noth that I can hear much burn in with electronics. I have been playing all sort of music though them, spotify, standard cda and hi res, TV news and countryfile through to clubland at silly levels.

I have just put Moby 18 on the streaming PC and whilst I knew it has a super smooth wide bandwidth production it's just made me grin. You are right of course, the bass has really started to tighten up, and deepen - I had read that the D18 is bass-lite, and was worried because the spens have a lovely neutral thwack to the bottome end with the right music, but its clear the proacs are a much more forward, bigger sounding speaker that compliment the M2 / DACmagic+ really well. They can blow your ears off without ripping your senses apart. Love 'em That said, in contrast just goes to show how good the spens are/were. I will be sad to see them go

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Phew! They have been playing radio 1 or 2 all day whil I was at work, which wont have harmed the M2 and magic plus either, noth that I can hear much burn in with electronics. I have been playing all sort of music though them, spotify, standard cda and hi res, TV news and countryfile through to clubland at silly levels.

I have just put Moby 18 on the streaming PC and whilst I knew it has a super smooth wide bandwidth production it's just made me grin. You are right of course, the bass has really started to tighten up, and deepen - I had read that the D18 is bass-lite, and was worried because the spens have a lovely neutral thwack to the bottome end with the right music, but its clear the proacs are a much more forward, bigger sounding speaker that compliment the M2 / DACmagic+ really well. They can blow your ears off without ripping your senses apart. Love 'em That said, in contrast just goes to show how good the spens are/were. I will be sad to see them go

Glad you are happy.

:cheers:

Cno

SteveR750

Crocodile said:
Did you ever get to listen to the A6 as well? I'd be interested to hear how they compared to the S6e & D18.

No I didn't. I got as far as arranging collection of a pair from sevenoaks cardiff, but couldn't get them ack to the shop in time, so didn't go ahead. I was going to try to rearrange it, but then these popped up with another £400 discount so had the buy them straight away. I took a big risk, as had only briefly heard the studio 140s and I suspect I would have regretted getting rid of the spens. I should imain the A6 is closer to the D18, more open mid band, brighter top, and a deeper bass.

I'll upload a pic soon

SteveR750

bjGKsV

I can't seem to post the image, so here is the link

http://flic.kr/p/bjGKsV

bjGKsV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts