Sealed box speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

drummerman:igglebert:dim_span:
problem with matthew and many others (including myself), is that we audition very good systems and compare it to used systems that we can afford/buy

I stopped doing that a long time ago

...I try to avoid auditioning kit much better than mine as it's a terrible pill to swallow and will just annoy you!

How did you reach the conclusion that the Spendors are the speakers you'd like?
emotion-11.gif

I went to Lincoln Sevenoaks to audition the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and a £1k budget. They happened to just get the Spendor SA1s in so I auditioned them too. A quick dash on the Proac 1SC and I bought the Spendors. They had my amp and I took my CDP. A four hour process with three cups of coffee and about 75 CDs (kidding, more like 20). I don't have the patience to spend months choosing kit and just went with what I liked from a set of superb speakers. You can over-analyse you know....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I feel like I'm pouring a glass of whiskey at an AA meeting but I've found this: Quad 77 Int amp on ebay for £350 Randomly someone has one for sale on here too, at the bottom: Clicky

going rate on ebay for the quad 77 is approx £160-£200 ... I would not pay £350 for one

matthewpiano

drummerman:
matthewpiano:Igglebert, what do you think about Quad pre/powers to drive the KEFs? Something of the 34/306 variety? Only a thought, and I'd have to listen to some, but do you think its got potential?

Blimey! You are blowing hot and cold, changing your system more often than ... . I nearly replied to a recent thread where you were considering trying AVI's actives. I think I can safely say ... don't bother. If you don't like the relative neutral CA stuff you'd hate AVI, probably.

Isn't perhaps the problem that you change so often (and mostly for second hand stuff) that you a/ never really get to know and live with a system and b/ have as much chance to find one you like as winning the lottery??

Why not take a break, sign off here for a few months, don't buy mags and add to your music collection? Then perhaps go to a good dealer and listen to some more expensive systems, whatever they may be, and find one you truly like. Then you have something to aim for and know what you want ... perhaps
emotion-2.gif

Just an idea MP, no offense.

regards

Thanks DM, and not offense taken whatsoever.

Comments on the AVIs duly noted.

Your comments about the overall situation make perfect sense and I'm certainly not rushing this. Lots of discussion, listening, reading etc. ahead.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
igglebert:I feel like I'm pouring a glass of whiskey at an AA meeting but I've found this: Quad 77 Int amp on ebay for £350 Randomly someone has one for sale on here too, at the bottom: Clicky

going rate on ebay for the quad 77 is approx £160-£200 ... I would not pay £350 for one

Nice one dim_span. I wasn't sure what price they should be but if you can find one for £200 then get a Quad service you'd be laughing. Well, maybe....

A

Anonymous

Please advise which speakers i should partner with Quad 405-2 upgraded with Quad 99 preamplifier. Which would be the best between Quad 22L2 or Energy RC-50 or RC 70 with mentioned Configuration.

A

Anonymous

Never heard of the Energy speakers.

What music do you listen to?
What sort of tonal balance do you prefer?
Which upgrade has been done on the 405 (as this can determine the level of current driving ability the amp has).
What's the budget?

What about some used Spendor A6s? There's a pay on ebay for £1350 and another for £1500.

A

Anonymous

I mostly listen classical and rock. I have upgrade the Quad 405 with OPA604 and Dual Mono power Supply from Dada Electronics. After the upgrade the Bass was tighter and the hights were smooth. In India there are not many optoions for speakers. Here we have Jamo, KEF, Quad, Mirage, JBL, Infinity, Revel, Dali. Wharfadele. Presenlty i have Wharfadele 9.1. I dont want to put Subwoffer. So looking for speakers with a buit tighter bass and great soundstage. My Budget is between £900 to £1000.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I haven't really heard any current speakers from those manufacturers. The Quads are quite nice when with a 909 power amp so I imagine they'll work well with the upgraded 405. The Revel Concerta F12s get an excellent write up and sound like they'll suit the smooth 405 with it's excellent midrange.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I will audition both Quad 22l2 and F12. Can you plz advise any CD player too with the same configuration.

T

the record spot

Do you have any access to RRR FS100 speakers? They were well reviewed a couple of years back which were apparently stunning. Great for rock and classical IIRC, big sound good dynamics, but huge! Probably slightly over your budget at maybe £1100, but worth checking out if you can find them/have a dealer nearby.

http://www.rrr.lv/en/products/acoustic-systems/giant-fs-100/18

A

Anonymous

Again, depends on what your want to spend. The Quad99 CDP is very smooth sounding and nice. I love the Musical Fidelity XRAY 8 as it's highly detailed and musical and can be bought for fairly low prices. The Kandy K2 sounded excellent when I heard it with the K2 amp and Spendor A6 speakers. Also Exposure CDPs are very good with rock.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for replying this thread rather late in the day. Sealed box speakers? Without a doubt - the Magicos!

A

Anonymous

How would be the combination QUAD CDP-2 or CD-S with Quad 99 preamp and Quad 405. Which one is better Quad CDP-2 or Quad CD-S with Quad 99 Preamplifier ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Can anybody advise if upgraded Quad 405-2 can produce better soundstage with bass or Quad 909.

I will be using Quad 99 Preaamplifier and Quad 22L2

Thanks to advise

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Can anybody advise if upgraded Quad 405-2 can produce better soundstage with bass or Quad 909.

I will be using Quad 99 Preaamplifier and Quad 22L2

Thanks to advise

A

Anonymous

I've never compared them I'm afraid. I do know that the 909 produces up to 22Amps peak current whereas the Netaudio 405MK3 DMPSU will manage 20A. Both are very good amps and I chose the Netaudio version over the 909 on gut instinct that it's better. Not very technical!

Other than that I can't help.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Listening to my old KEF C30s from the 1980s, as a stop-gap while I decide what I'm going to end up with for my hi-fi, I'm coming to realise that I really like the sound of a sealed box design. They seem to be more natural sounding than ported speakers with better integration across the frequency range. They also seem to image with greater stability.

Are there any new sealed designs on the market now at reasonable prices that I could consider? Is anyone making sealed box speakers at present or is everything ported?

I had some Ruark Sabres and they where pure magic with valves. No lack of bass whatsoever. The trend these days is for ever smaller/slimmer speakers that fit unobtrusively into homes. They need all the help they can get, including ports though there's always the possibility of adding a sub, something I'd recommend anyhow whether ported or not. - Still, just to assume a sealed box is better in every case is risky, there are to many variables, not least the room itself.

A

Anonymous

Hi! I can help you out with RRR Giant FS-100. I happen to know RRR quite well :) FS-100 are truly fantastic and given the price/performance - a real bargain. I think I can ship them to UK and fit within the estimated budget +/-50 £ (depends on shipment, they are almost 90 lbs each and only DHL or TNT will carry them). If you make up your mind feel free to leave a note here (not sure if they allow PM on this forum).

Here are tech specs for Giant FS-100:

- Make: VEF Radiotehnika RRR (Latvia)

- Speaker type: phase inverter

- Five 3-lane speakers

- Bi-wired

- Audiophile-class condensators (polypropylene)

- 24-carat gold plated connectors

- Resistance: 4 Om

- Materials: massive MDF + natural wood

- Frequency response range: 30 Hz - 25000 Hz

- Max ouput: 300 Watt

- Recommended amp output: 5-300W

- Sensitivity: 91 Db

- Phase div.: 350/700/5000 Hz

- Dimensions mm: 315x1231x430 mm

- Weight: 40,5 kg/89.3 lbs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts