Scratches on vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Maybe a stupid question.

Anyone with more experience of buying second hand vinyl than me give me an idea of how much a visible scratch on records will affect the playback?

I know the worse case scenario is that it will sound awful but is there a chance it will play ok with just tiny jumps?

I'm lucky to live opposite one of the best Oxfams for vinyl in London and get a lot of second hand classical vinyl. Today I got Bruno Walter conducting Mahler's Second for 50p! And lots else besides. But there's a mono edition of La Boheme I have my eye on but its all of a quid and I thought I'd seek advice first over how this is likely to play.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Got to be worth it for a pound (and a pound for a good cause at that)- is it an isolated scratch or is the record in pretty bad shape in general?

A

Anonymous

Just maybe 2 or 3 light scratches otherwise looks in pretty good shape. I'm regretting not getting it now. I'll get it tomorrow and feed back. As you say if its not good enough to play at least the money's not wasted.

John Duncan

Most scratches will be handled reasonably well by a half decent turntable, but as for this one, you've probably spent a pound on electricity asking the question!
emotion-2.gif

If you;re going to buy a lot of s/h vinyl, it's worth getting a Knosti Disco Antistat wet cleaner (or even more expensive ones), it'll transform a lot of dirty records.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Most scratches will be handled reasonably well by a half decent turntable, but as for this one, you've probably spent a pound on electricity asking the question!
emotion-2.gif

If you;re going to buy a lot of s/h vinyl, it's worth getting a Knosti Disco Antistat wet cleaner (or even more expensive ones), it'll transform a lot of dirty records.

Its on the shopping list John. I wouldn't pay for the more expensive ones but I'll stretch to the Knosti Disco.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
have to agree, you cant go wrong with the knosti, i was lucky, when i bought my expression mk 1 the seller threw in a knosti system....

most of my vinyl is 2cnd hand, and yes i have ended up with some right stinkers.

it does help if your using a m/c, surface noise and clicks and bangs are a lot less noticeable, tracking at 2.5 grams helps to.

if your in london, try record and tape exchange, camden, notting hill gate, or reckless in islington, i spent many a happy hour and picked up some absolute bargains.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Catcher:
JohnDuncan:Most scratches will be handled reasonably well by a half decent turntable, but as for this one, you've probably spent a pound on electricity asking the question!
emotion-2.gif

Its on the shopping list John. I wouldn't pay for the more expensive ones but I'll stretch to the Knosti Disco.

It's well worth considering something like the Okki Nokki if you are buying a lot of used vinyl. My family bought me one a couple of Christmas's ago, and its probably the biggest upgrade my vinyl front end has had.

TRENDING THREADS