scrap or repair

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
My mate has an onkyo 505DAB everything seems to be working fine apart from the cd player, he say's he is probably going to get a denon dm38dab & if i can get it repaired he will give me his old onkyo 505 dab, so the question is, -is it worth getting it repaired or is it scrap.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
It'll either be a transport or circuit fail, if its reading the disc then the laser should be okay. Transports are fairly straight forward and it could be a cog has gone brittle and broken or a belt has snapped, easy enough to open up the unit and have a good look about, what went in must come out :), and transport parts are an easy find.

If is a circuit fail then could be tricky to fix unless your a whiz in electronics and you track the fault; unless you change the board.

I recon its worth having a look to see if its a simple fix or not.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Okay thanks, do you think i should contact genserve about a repair, i don't feel competent enough about opening it up & having a look.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Depends if you think its worth it, most have a flat rate to have a look. My local dealer is £30 to open up a unit and have a look + labour and parts after, parts being a few pounds too...

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Right i think this is what i'll do, i'll have a look inside with the top off & if i can't see anything i'll contact genserve, that is if anybody tells me differently, my mate is still useing it for the radio & if he gives it to me it won't be untill the beginning of next week at the earliest.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
These little units are crammed in so it may take a bit of removing to get to where you need to be. Dont worry though its no big deal, a few screws here and there and any circuits plugged in they are easy to remove, you may have to depress either end and pull harder than you think, though dont overpull. The transport and laser will be as one, though the transport workings may be underneath, cogs, bands ect may be hidden from sight, so out it may have to come. Take your time, lay it all out in front as you and it will be a breeze starting in intrepidation ending in elation. Get stuck in!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts