School Classroom on a serious budget!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am a music teacher at a secondary school and need a new system but have a very strict budget of about £500! I also have a big classroom of about 8m x 12m which is double height, although the roof is pitched.

RS suggested the teac AG-790 because it can run 4 Gale Gold mk2. I have been auditioning this but am not sold with the sound quality and tonal balance.

One alternative would be the CA 550A with something like the Aviano 1XR, or the A-S500 with the Tannoy V1 which this would leave scope to add a second speaker set in the future.

We have the CA540A next door with Diamond 9's and this manages ok in a similar size room, although I see wher RS were coming from suggesting 4 speakers.

Clarity and sound quality is really important especially for Alevel analysis work so any and all thoughts really appreciated!

Thanks.

matthewpiano

I think Cambridge Audio is a good choice for this application and the 550A should give you the clarity and quality you need. To capitalise on this I would suggest the Aviano 2s - slightly bigger than the 1s but with plenty of insight into what is going on in a recording. I personally don't think the TEAC/Gale combination is anything like good enough.

T

the record spot

Why not look at actives? You'll get some excellent speakers for your money and leave enough room for a decent source if you need a CDP - KRK Rokit 5 (around £250) or Yamaha's HS50 or the bigger HS80 (£250/£350 respectively). Alternatively, go down the used route and make the most out of your funds. Do you have specific requirements beyond your stereo though? For the cash, I'd seriously consider the KRK's or the Yammies. Both deliver excellent imaging, clarity and have enough weight to the sound to comfortably compete with like-priced separates.

EDIT: The Yamaha HS80s might be the better bet here - each speaker has a 120w amp onboard, so more than enough for your room, while it has room trim features. Good connectivity and will suit both normal audio kit or linking to a computer or mixer as needed and depending what your school uses.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music-production/speakers/hs_series/hs80m/?mode=model

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd look down the Arcam or NAD route with Monitor Audio or Acoustic Energy speakers

The likes of the Arcam Alpha 10 or NAD C352 integrated amps would be a very good choice (the Alpha 10 more so if you want to run 4 speakers)

The Monitor Audio BR2 speakers are superb and work very well; not sure if you can consider floorstanders but the Acoustic Energy AE109's would be very good also

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts