SCART vs HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As i'm relativly new to this, do SCART leads upscale DVD's to HD quality

or do you need an HDMI cable.

Also is there any difference in say a £70 Monster HDMI Cable and a £10 one from a supermarket

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
The best you can get from a scart is RGB (red, green and blue) but to get HD or HD upscaling you will need a HDMI cable, like everything in life you get what you pay for QED do a really good HDMI cable which has won a few rewards its about £50.00.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PhilEarley"]
As i'm relativly new to this, do SCART leads upscale DVD's to HD quality

or do you need an HDMI cable.

Also is there any difference in say a £70 Monster HDMI Cable and a £10 one from a supermarket
[/quote]

A SCART doesn't have the bandwidth required to carry an upscaled picture to your television. It's too much information for it to handle. Upscaled picture can only be carried via a HDMI or Component video cable. Budget sensibly for your cables though. There is no point buying a £50 cable for an £80 upscaler. You just won't see the benefit. In most cases, a decent cable costing £10-20 will do just fine.

A

Anonymous

Yeah scart is rubbish. It is an analogue connection, and is only capable of sending standad-def signals. Component is also analogue, however it does have the bandwidth to send high-def signals. Don't get component mixed up with composite though; composite is the worst connection you can get. The best connection is the all-digital HDMI which obviously is capable of carrying full high-definition.

A

Anonymous

So do you only need a HDMI to link a dvd player to a TV now?

I have a Toshiba 370 dvd and am looking to get either the samsung le32r87bdx or sony kdl32d3000 TV. So will need a HDMI cable I guess to get the best possible signal.

A

Anonymous

Don't mean to but in on your thread but I have a similar question? I'm getting a Panasonic TH-42PZ70 and a DMR-EX77EB what cables do I need to get them working together?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, in both cases above, you only need the HDMI cable connected to your TV for picture and sound. If you're going to be connecting up to an amp for sound though, that's a different matter.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah now, this is a question! Many people will tell you that because an HDMI signal is digital, you don't need to spend money on a cable and a £10 is just as good as an £80 one as a £500 one etc. etc. (due to the nature of the encoding and all sort of other things they point to). Personally, I believe in what I can see and I swapped my bundled HDMI cable for a Chord HDMI 1.3 Silver Plus and was very happy with the improvements over my previous cable (it's currently an Award winner in WHF).

Really, the only thing I can do is advise you to try a more expensive cable and a cheaper cable, and see if you can see any difference. So best bet is go to a local dealer and see If you can either borrow or get a no quibbles money back guarantee on both. That way, if you did see a noticeable difference on the more expensive cable, you can keep it and be happy. If you can't, you can take it back and get your money back. Either way you win.

Current recommendations I can think of for quality more expensive cables are the Chord as mentioned above, or the QED Qunex HDMI-P (which is a bit cheaper than the Chord). There are plenty of others though - have a look at the Buyers Guide at the back of WHF magazine.

Now, I await a lot of people to come in and tell you it's not worth the money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts