Scart or HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My question is this.

My Sky HD Box will be installed tomorrow going to my 50" Pioneer plasma.

As all cables were originally chased into the walls I now have 1 Chord HDMI lead that is currently going from my Sony 910 DVD Recorder and a QED Scart that is currently going from the original Sky Box to AV1 on the Plasma.

I will need to use the existing 2 metre HDMI lead for connection of the Sky HD Box, as the engineer has stated that they only supply a 1 metre HDMI lead with the installation and this will not be long enough, but as the QED scart cannot be removed from the trunking, will there be an appreciable drop in quality if I were to use this to connect the DVD to the Plasma instead of purchasing another HDMI lead?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

OK,

Having just carried out a quick test with the Scart instead of HDMI it appears that on a pre recorded disc there is no appreciable difference in picture quality, whilst on a recording made from Sky or Digital there does appear to be a slight improvement.

Is it my eyes or would anyone concur with these findings based on their own experience?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely recommend you get HDMI cables for both connections. While not all early players offered noticeably better performance via HDMI, especially at the cheaper end of the market, the gap has slowly become larger. And with a decent source such as the Sony '910, despite the fact it's a recorder rather than a dedicated player, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair improvement when using HDMI for DVD playback as well as recorded material. So the short answer - get hold of a second HDMI, your eyes aren't deceiving you!

TRENDING THREADS