Scart Component Cable

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I currently have my sky box connected to my LCD via a QED scart cable, my LCD has components, so question is if I get a Scart to component cable will it give me an improvement in quality or has it be component from the source end also to gain any significant increase in quality or any other suggestions would be helpful,many thanks in advance to all who reply.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You'd need a converter as component sends signals in a different format compared to RGB Scart. It wouldn't improve the picture so it's not worth it, cos as you say, the source signal is the same. If anything, the conversion process might make it worse.

A

Anonymous

I have a similar need connecting Sky+ to an AVR. Scart on Sky+ box, component RCA on AVR.

So RGB is different to component?

What do I need to know before I go an order a lead?

Thank you.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes RGB and component are different. You will need a converter, as the prof says - a simple lead won't do the job. I tried one or two RGB/component converters a while back, and have to say is was less than chuffed with the results.

If you were going straight to the TV, you might get away with it if the TV can accept RGB on a trio of cables, but there would be little or no advantage over doing this with a Scart. Oh, and remember that component video inputs only carry video, so you'd need an audio connection, too.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to say I have tried several converters of this type and found no benefits, and sometimes a diminution of picture quality. I'd stick to the Scart connection.

A

Anonymous

No SCART on SC-LX82 i'm afraid. Looks like its down to S-video or, gulp, composite!

Thanks for the advice.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you'll get better quality using a converter to component or HDMI than you will dropping down to S-Video.

Personally I just carry on running any Scart devices straight into the TV for picture and let my Harmony remote sort changing the TV to the correct input. You can pick one up for about the same price as the converter as well!

A

Anonymous

Prof I agree with you on the TV. My son wants Sponge Bob on the projector.

There may be a way. I have an HDD/DVD recorder from a Pioneer LX01 all-in-one. That has a SCART input and an HDMI out. I may be able to feed the Sky+ into the HDD/DVD via SCART, and output (without recording) to the AVR via HDMI. From there a simple matter to get to the projector. A bit circuitous but worth a shot.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If that doesn't work, I've usually found the QED scart-component convertor to work well when running into projectors.

The only reason I don't use one now is that a/ I don't watch much TV, and b/ I can't find it!

A

Anonymous

Gents,

Thanks for all your help. Routing through the HDD/DVD recorder has cracked the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts