Satelitte Cable and LNB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me please!!!

I recently bought a Humax FOX Sat with 320G recording.

I want to do a DIY job and install this myself.

I was hoping someone could advise me as to what would be a good quad LNB to buy and where I could get one??

Also I would like to use a really good satelitte cable triple screened etc and don't mind paying dearer for this as I firmly believe it is worth the extra layout.

If I buy a quad LNB will it fit any satelitte dish arm or do you have to buy a LNB and a dish together as a matching pair??

Many thanks for any comments!!

Charlie

daveh75

miotog:

I would like to use a really good satelitte cable triple screened etc and don't mind paying dearer for this as I firmly believe it is worth the extra layout.

When it comes to satellite cable,just because it's triple or even quad screened and more expensive doesn't mean it will be better quality.

Most of these "high quality" satellite cables use a braid(of various different metals) over a mylar film(an aluminiumised plastic film)screening, which is not the best at screening from rfi/emi.

If different materials are used for braid and foil the cable can detoriorate far quicker than using the same materials for braid/foil if and when you get moisture ingress into the cable.

Save yourself some money and use what pro installers use and CAI approved.

On shortish runs (upto 30-40m) use Webro WF100 which is good quality 75ohm,double screened cable...It uses copper braiding over thick copper foil for screening which is more effective and wont deteriorate so quickly.

For longer runs use WF125,which is a thicker version of the above above but has a lower attenuation on signal levels over longer runs.

miotog:If I buy a quad LNB will it fit any satelitte dish arm or do you have to buy a LNB and a dish together as a matching pair??

Many thanks for any comments!!

CharlieNo you dont have to buy together as a matching pair, but what type of dish you have/buy will come into play.

If you're going to be using an eliptical "Sky mini-dish" then the LNB's have a spigot/finger type mount that slides into the dish feed arm and is secured in place by a locating pin. These type of LNB's will not fit any other type of dish.

Most other dishes have a 40mm round collar/clamp on the end of the feed arm, that fit's round the neck of the LNB.These type of LNB's can also be used on "sky mini-dishes" but require an adaptor!!!

There is a third type of LNB, known as C120 feedhorns. But these type of feedhorn/LNB set-ups are only used on large dishes(1 metre+ diameter) and not really relevent to your average domestic installation,so wont go into detail.

I would recommend satcure or satellite superstore for dish/lnb's and supplies. Have used both in the past and both offer good service...

A

Anonymous

Hi Daveh 75

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query. It was really useful.

I had an old satelitte dish from the analogue days (80cm) so I was going to use that.

Can you recommend a particular make of quad LNB and F connectors or does it not really matter. I really want the instal for HD and I was wondering if there was a particlar make I should go for or avoid.

I will get the Webro WF100. My runs are short so I take it I'll be OK.

Would I notice a difference getting the WF 125 over the WF 100 even on short runs?

Once agin many thanks I really appreciate the help!!!!

Miotog

daveh75

miotog:
Hi Daveh 75

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query. It was really useful.

I had an old satelitte dish from the analogue days (80cm) so I was going to use that.

Can you recommend a particular make of quad LNB and F connectors or does it not really matter. I really want the instal for HD and I was wondering if there was a particlar make I should go for or avoid. I personally use Titanium 0.1db LNB's(available HERE) on my own kit,purely because they're good quality and have been reliable.

But TBH in term's of performance, i.e signal strength/quality it wont make much difference whether you use a budget ebay special or good quality(low noise) LNB like the titanium, especially using an 80cm dish.

Astra 2D is a powerful bird(satellite),and with a dish of that size,so long as it's still in good condition and properly aligned you'll get near perfect signal strength/quality levels.

Again with regard to F connectors,they wont have any impact on signal quality.

I personally use profesional compression connectors like this,mainly
because when fitted they seal the cable so dont require any additional
waterproofing,but the connectors require a
tool to fit them which isn't worth buying just to fit a handful of F's.
So in your case i would just use standard screw on F's like this and waterproof the connections with either weatherboots/silicon grease or amalgamating tape

miotog:I will get the Webro WF100. My runs are short so I take it I'll be OK.

Would I notice a difference getting the WF 125 over the WF 100 even on short runs? WF100 will be more than adequate.

The difference in attenuation levels between WF100 and WF125 are small, and over short runs would be negligible.It's only over long runs the difference's become apparent enough that you would need to consider WF125.

A

Anonymous

Goodman Daveh 75.

Once agin cheers for the help.

No excuse for me now not getting a good quality picture and sound!!!

PS I love the mini...Drive a VW GTI myself MK1.

Good luck and thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts