Sand in floor standers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought some Tangent Monitor 9's and thinking of putting in some sand (found some kiln dried sand from B&Q) in the bottom of the speakers.

Wondered a) what was the general thoughts towards this, does it improve sound?

b) And how much do I fill it up? I assume too much and it may dampen the sound?

Any thoughts would be great.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Its something ive never been able to try as my speakers arnt fillable. But ANYTHING that makes the speaker more 'rigid' will be an improvement. I personally have mine stood on concrete slabs with a board on top and the speakers spiked into it which made a HUGH improvement to sound quality (I have the OLD monitor Audio silver series)

idc

I would suspect that sand would help, my old Atacama stands noticeably benefitted from being filled with sand. Put the sand in plastic bags and weigh them to keep them even. As to how much, I would start with half of the space available, as you correctly realise that the inside of the speaker cabinet itself is partly responsible for how the whole thing sounds.

A

Anonymous

Great. Thats really helpful guys.

Not sure how best to do it at present - it only has a little hole to pour into! I shall start with half and work from there.

Just want to spike the things now. Anyone know what the standard size thread is? I have seen quite a few 8mm ones on the web but wanted to make sure they were going to fit before I bought them as they ain't cheap! Or if anyone knows where to buy them on the High Street?

idc

roscoeuk:

Not sure how best to do it at present - it only has a little hole to pour into! I shall start with half and work from there.

If filling is through a little hole rather than removing a panel I would not use sand as it can become damp. That is why I suggested putting the sand in plastic bags. Try lead shot instead.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks. Thats useful - I'll have a proper look tonight. Will the fact that it is kiln dried sand make a difference? Shouldnt have any moisture in it?

idc

The sand may go in dry but it could absorb moisture over time. I am basing this on advice from Atacama re filling the stands. I have also had a trawl on the internet to try and find a picture of the speakers to see, no joy with that, but there is a pair for sale which have been filled with lead shot so they now weigh a total of 18 kilos.

A

Anonymous

Fair point. Thanks for looking it up. Do you know where to buy lead shot? And cost?

A

Anonymous

Actually don't worry too much about that. I can see from searching through the forum there is quite a lot of material on this! Thanks though for your advice.

I would be interested to know about my earlier question to standard size of thread for the bottom of floor standers for spikes?

idc

With regards to spikes, www.russandrews.com sells 6 and 8 mm (£8.79 delivered) spiked feet and I have found that company easy to deal with, they may even know. If your speaker instructions specification does not tell you what size spikes it needs then measure the hole!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts