Samsung QN800D

F8lee

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
This entire 8K thing seems like more than a bit of overkill to me - a solution in search of a problem, as the saying goes. I mean, the "minor" con of "not much native content available would seem to say it all.

Now, I can understand the ultra-high end speaker systems, costing in the tens of thousands or more, as one could argue that they can possibly offer a more fulfilling listening experience (assuming the other components in the chain are suitably awesome and the source material is not an 8-track). But when it comes to visual entertainment, what, exactly, are the drum beaters for the awesomeness of this resolution talking about? The ability to count the hair follicles on your favorite star's head? Being able to calculate the rotation of a golf ball as the dimples spin by?

And given the, what, 16 fold increase in requirement for bandwidth, storage, etc. - who really thinks it is worth it?

Frankly, the only valid use I can imagine for 8K is as a virtual window on the world for a windowless apartment - that is, have a large 8K screen hanging on the living room wall (perhaps even surrounded by a window frame to make it look more real) and a camera on the outside wall of the building feeding the image live - those living in the voluntary cell would perhaps be able to see (and hear?) the kids in the lot next door playing ball or whatever, with a resolution that might indeed rival a real glass window looking on the same scene.

But for what passes for entertainment, even sports, what does 8K really bring to the table, other than bragging rights to those fooled into buying it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts