Samsung PS42A456P - plasma tv - any good?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Just been from the stores.I like the colours, and motion resolution.Only minor issue..black level.Its grey,you notice it very much especially when viewing an all dark scene.The 5 series is much better in black level.

A

Anonymous

The black level was exactly what sprung to mind when I say this topic. It isn't black like the Panasonic 42PX80. Definately much more grey. It really stands out to me during dark scenes.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Yep.call me crazy but I still prefer the image on the samsung.not sure about freeview though, since I never saw one displaying such image.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i've not seen it - its not for me - my sis wants a cheapish tv for her lounge and she asked my thoughts - sure will be fine for her as she will only be using it for free view and from a cheap dvd player - shes not really into her gadgets - i just wanted to know that is wasn't rubbish - slight grey blacks i'm sure she can live with as long as pic is clear and movement smooth

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:i've not seen it - its not for me - my sis wants a cheapish tv for her lounge and she asked my thoughts - sure will be fine for her as she will only be using it for free view and from a cheap dvd player - shes not really into her gadgets - i just wanted to know that is wasn't rubbish - slight grey blacks i'm sure she can live with as long as pic is clear and movement smooth

Yeah for a non-picky veiwer it will be fine I'm sure. As long as they're not sat too close to the TV the picture will look fine.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
here in Portugal that samsung and the panasonic 42-px8 are the same price.maybe the Panasonic would be better.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Well today at the stores i prefered the imagem on the panasonic.Maybe it's my mood.I guess it has more shadow detail.also the aspect ratio seemed better on it.

Sliced Bread

If your interested in one try and test it with Batman Begins & Oceans 13. I really like my Samsung Plasma (different model), however some colour palets can make it struggle. The colours on Oceans 13 are very unnatural (they are recorded this way, but the samsung does not flatter it) and some of the dark and orangy scenes in Batman returns can look quite noisy (such as when bruce wayne is talking in his cell towards the start of the film). That said most films do look very very good, but just though I'd better warn you in case the issue also exists in this model.

TRENDING THREADS