samsung ps 518500 motion issue

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've read that pausing a DVD then pressing play causes judder a second or so after you resume the film. This also happens sometimes after a programme cuts to a new scene.

Is this what you're referring to?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
camper 1 said:
post did not work . picture jitters .can anyone help.

The more information you provide, the more precisely people can help. Does the picture jitter when watching ordinary TV, or only when watching DVDs and Blu-Rays, etc. I've briefly seen your set in John Lewis, it looked fine, but then I wasn't watching it for jitter!

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
hi it mostly jitters when i am watching general tv, news etc.sometimes when someone moves their head the moement is not smooth.any suggestions welcome. thanks guys.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear, we're talking about judder rather than jitter. (They're not the same thing.)

What you describe doesn't sound like the very mild issue I've read about, so I'd agree with the poster above; disable all motion processing options to start with (these are often switched on by default when you first use the TV). Hopefully this will do the trick, though you might experiment with different processing options and see what suits you personally.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, it's best to disable motion processing on plasma TVs, as it causes more problems than it solves.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, when you say normal tv, is it via tv inbuilt tuner or sky? I had issues with judder recently that only occured periodically & lasted a few seconds, it was the 4 year old sky hd+ box to blame, swapped box judder disappeared.

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
hi guys thanks for all your comments.i have turned off the judder canceller and have not seen it since.[fingers crossed[i generally watch through a sky box but problem was on freeview as well.heres hoping. many thanks

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, had to post this here, as i couldnt create a new topic for some reason!

Recently i noticed two white dots on my screen. John Lewis arranged for an engineer to call. Their TV repair agent phoned me to say there was no need to look at it first, we will order a new screen. By the time they arrived I had realized this was light permeating through the vent holes in the back. I pointed this out but the engineer was intent on changing the screen saying that it was probably a problem with the screen (changing the screen did not solve this). My big problem is, however, despite using my original settings and various alternatives the picture is inferior on the new panel. On complaining to JL the repair company sent a different engineer who had no idea why the screen had been changed, as this was not going to solve the original problem. Despite my repeatedly telling him how the picture was so inferior to the previous panel he told me this could not be possible as all panels were identical. He kept enthusing how the picture was superior to his (Loewe), he would happily take my screen home, and there was nothing he could do as it was not faulty. And this was reported to John Lewis. John Lewis have told me that as there is no perceived fault and we are in the first year of the guarantee, this is down to Samsung. After protestation the repair company on JL's request have agreed to have the TV in for testing. In my opinion the picture is not now commensurate with the TV at this price level. Any comments guys?

D

Deleted member 2457

camper 1 said:
Hi guys, had to post this here, as i couldnt create a new topic for some reason!

Recently i noticed two white dots on my screen. John Lewis arranged for an engineer to call. Their TV repair agent phoned me to say there was no need to look at it first, we will order a new screen. By the time they arrived I had realized this was light permeating through the vent holes in the back. I pointed this out but the engineer was intent on changing the screen saying that it was probably a problem with the screen (changing the screen did not solve this). My big problem is, however, despite using my original settings and various alternatives the picture is inferior on the new panel. On complaining to JL the repair company sent a different engineer who had no idea why the screen had been changed, as this was not going to solve the original problem. Despite my repeatedly telling him how the picture was so inferior to the previous panel he told me this could not be possible as all panels were identical. He kept enthusing how the picture was superior to his (Loewe), he would happily take my screen home, and there was nothing he could do as it was not faulty. And this was reported to John Lewis. John Lewis have told me that as there is no perceived fault and we are in the first year of the guarantee, this is down to Samsung. After protestation the repair company on JL's request have agreed to have the TV in for testing. In my opinion the picture is not now commensurate with the TV at this price level. Any comments guys?

Wow, not good news. I would talk to a manager in John Lewis and demand what you would like to happen.

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
cheers gel, just to give you a sense of confidence in the engineer that visited, he said he had never heard of calibrating a tv ,but if you did it would ruin the board[?]. an d invalidate the warranty.Top man.

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
c.heers simon ,i realised he was.When he first arrived he said"wheres this line on your screen mate"I replied"theres never been a line on the screen.He was so unaware of the latest tvs smart hub etc.HE WAS TRULY HOPELESS.

camper 1

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
HI, When the screen was replaced the tvs processor had obviously retained my previous settings.Instead of the previous crisp ,sharp picture i was confronted with a picture which was much too bright lacking in sharpness ,strange colours on peoples faces etc.My good lady said what has happened to the picture.{doesnt usually comment].Since then i have spent many hours tinkering with the settings to no avail.Sometimes i can manage to get something reasonable

on something like football but when i turn to something like drama its awful.When i first had this tv it was awesome,even on standard defenition ,.fantastic on hd.it is now miserable.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing you've tried adjusting cell light?

Some of the issues you describe (changing colours on people's faces) sound like dynamic false contouring. Such plasma side-effects become more obvious and distracting when the panel is driven too hard.

I'm not saying this is the cause of the problem, but I thought it was worth checking.

Paul.

camper 1 said:
HI, When the screen was replaced the tvs processor had obviously retained my previous settings.

Was a factory reset not performed after the panel was replaced? To be honest, I would start from scratch, reset the machine and follow the process for calibrating you were originally satisfied with.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Paul makes a good point. Plasma televisions go through a series of voltage adjustments relatively early in their life, which can have quite a large effect on the picture produced. The engineer should have reset these adjustments when fitting the new panel, though it's certainly something worth checking.

A factory reset will restore default settings when it comes to calibration and firmware updates, but I doubt it'll reset panel voltage changes.

I'd imagine an engineer would need to access the service menu to reset voltage adjustments. Don't try to access the service menu yourself. Leave this to an engineer, or you'll invalidate your warranty.

Sorry if this sounds alarmist. As I say, in all likelihood, the engineer did this when fitting the new panel, but a phone call to be sure won't do any harm.

TRENDING THREADS