Samsung OLED TV launching this August at IFA Berlin

It's unveiling a 55-inch model, describing it as being "ultra luxurious" (read expensive) & "an entirely new sleek design concept". How much more sleek can you get, after near-frameless TVs, for this to be an entirely new design concept? No bezel at all?? :?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Great news bigboss, many thanks for the info.

I'm guessing that an OLED tv at true consumer prices will still be quite a way away yet but at least the tech has started to finally arrive and here's hoping that with LG and Samsung now behind OLED that prices fall quickly, i wonder if Sony and Panasonic will now enter the ring??

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Olboy, I seem to remember reading that Sony have decided against pursuing OLED technology because of the relatively short working life of the organic components.(5 years I believe)

I think the direction they are taking is called CLED (crystal light emitting diode?)

Though it would seem from recent news releases about the state of Sony finances that maybe they haven't the R&D budget available that they once had.

Cliff.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I'm shocked. Surely LG and Samsung simply can't get away with selling a tv that in essence won't be fit for purpose with a lifespan of under 5 years and a degrading picture after just 2 years or so??

I thought OLED was going to be best solution for tv screens but perhaps not, unless LG and Samsung have got around the lifespan issue then OLED will never take off in large numbers. Does anyone have any details about this Crystal LED tech Sony are looking into as i have never heard of it before, is it as simple as using crystals for LED's or is there more to it and how does it compare to OLED tech?

Thanks.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks Andrew for the link, it makes interesting reading...i wonder if this tech will be with consumers before an affordable OLED tv? The next few years should be interesting that's for sure and i can't help but wonder if another battle of tv tech is brewing.

A

Anonymous

I'm not so sure about what Samsung is saying now, seems like they have postponed their OLED again and probably till next year. It might because they couldn't catch up with the technology that Sony and LG are capable of. And I have heard there was a long list of LG OLED tv pre-orders that have been made last month.

cutley7ad said:
I'm not so sure about what Samsung is saying now, seems like they have postponed their OLED again and probably till next year. It might because they couldn't catch up with the technology that Sony and LG are capable of. And I have heard there was a long list of LG OLED tv pre-orders that have been made last month.

And the source of your information? By the way, LG has been accused of stealing Samsung's OLED technology:

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/17/samsung-accuses-lg-execs-of-oled-technology-theft/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts