Samsung LCD clicking noise on start up.

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
About november last year my 46 inch samsung LCD TV starting clicking and taking longer and longer to start up, until it ultimately failed. It was just under 2 years old and just out of warranty. So I started looking into the problem more closely, and it turned out this was an extremely common problem with samsung, across many different ranges of TV's and monitors. Samsung's stand on the problem was that it didnt happen and wasn't a problem. So I did a little more research and found so many articles and unhappy samsung customers. This is such a common problem that there are several repair videos on youtube!

The actual problem is that the capacitors on the power board fail, quite often just out of warranty by a couple of months. Now me being the tinkering type decided to fix this problem myself, after being upset at the response and extortionate repair cost given by samsung. I took the TV apart and to be honest was quite shocked at how little there is to a flat panel TV, but using the repair videos got the powerboard out and got a local TV repairman to fix and uprate the faulty caps for very little. Now the TV works as it should do, well better, as I know that replacing the caps means it wont rubbish out on me again!

My point is this, for the sake of a few extra pence on better caps samsung wouldn't have so many disgruntled customers. Lets face it these TV's are not cheap. I moved to the states a couple of years back and brought this TV for a good price new and really would have expected it to last more than 20 months before needing repair. Now it works great, except from the auto motion plus, although that is nothing to with the repair, that's never worked and after 2 years of being promised a firmware update to correct the problem samsung has now stopped doing any firmware updates and has taken the stance about using the TV with AMP , don't use that feature. Not fair to be honest and really poor customer service. The faulty caps is such a widespread problem that there is a class action lawsuit being put against them. (Been over here too long as I signed up for that!). So yes, love their TV's but get an extended warranty to get peace of mind. Has anyone else encountered the clicking problem?

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I've seen this on a few Samsung sets we have at work, it does indeed seem to indicate a design problem and it is the capacitors that have broken down in the PSU that are the culprits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts