Samsung Evolution series - what a great idea

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Before Comet departed a salesman showed me their Evolution series from Samsung's 2012 line.
There was a space in the back where the customer could plug in an upgrade when available.
Samsung customers can update Evolution TVs to this year's features/capabilities. More
of which will be seen at this year's CES (as of tomorrow). :cheer:

THIS is what Panasonic and others should have done all along. Customers get left behind each year with new hardware
releases - whether that be features becoming obsolete eg VIERA CAST or models (e.g. Panasonic Viera Z1)
no longer being maintained/supported and new features becoming standard - as TVs become smarter and smarter.

Had this upgrade path been available on modular Panasonic designs e.g. my flaky Viera Z1 with its inherent software/hardware
problems, I could have upgraded the whole troublesome TV. Instead I was frustrated by Panasonic UK's take
on customer service and left wholely dissappointed, aggrieved and disillusioned. :cry:

I hope other companies take note and adopt similar upgrade paths as the market gets saturated with
the widespread adoption of smarter TVs. :cheer:

Besides, they need to make their smart TV offerings more secure:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2249303/Hackers-penetrate-home-Crack-Samsungs-Smart-TV-allows-attacker-seize-control-microphone-cameras.html

daveh75

bigboss said:
Well, the "smart" features of TVs should get more popular first: http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/smart-internet-tv-statistics-reveal-poor-app-take-up/

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that reports/polls like these are cobblers, and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

There will be another one out tomorrow or next week that contradicts this one.

daveh75 said:
bigboss said:
Well, the "smart" features of TVs should get more popular first: http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/smart-internet-tv-statistics-reveal-poor-app-take-up/

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that reports/polls like these are cobblers, and should be taken with a pinch of salt. There will be another one out tomorrow or next week that contradicts this one.

The bottomline is, that these "smart TVs" are pedestrian and unorganised currently, although Samsung & LG are improving. But as they do not have the IT knowhow, security will be an issue. Apple & Google are more adept at bringing better services (if only Google concentrated on this sector a bit more).

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
My thought is that the socket can only provide a certain amount of functionality - not improve the resolution etc. It really sounds like a gimmick to me but I'd love to be wrong.

Paul.

The port is supported for 4 years, so you won't get unlimited upgrades for ever. Obviously better than nowt :). The screen shots of this years smart hub looks great, less smart and more video on demand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts