Samsung 55es8000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
F

FunkyMonkey

Will do after work. Remember, though, Sky settings completely different, and your Blu Ray player may output different signal. The thing that has moved on in 5 years since my last lcd tv, are motion processing, lack of any digital artefacts, when set up properly, and black levels.

fubar925

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah wouldnt mind your settings...Got another tv coming today shop tech are going to install it...!!! lol.. fingers crossed i get a good one this time... Over the weekend this tv froze about 4 times wouldnt connect to smart hub and I spotted a dead pixel....(which I keep looking for now)

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, it really is the best panel out there at the moment.
But the devil is in the detail and as I've said previously, spending a few patient hours will be rewarding.

Remember each input will need calibrating and update manually (via USB) to firmware T-ECPDEUC-1013.0 and perform a full system reset or else there will be bits of the old code still in the memory cache of the mainboard.

F

FunkyMonkey

Will post my Blu Ray Hdmi input settings if anyone interested, but until I get a chance: I put my TV into Movie mode, did not mess with any of the advanced or LED settings, then went through the What HiFi THX set up disk. This differs from THX setup you get with DVD'S like Terminator 2, in that it comes with colour filter glasses for added colour adjustment, and moire settings.

Over on a certain AV Forum, folks are talking about a Disney set up blu ray that has all but negated clouding, etc.

fubar925

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
That would be cool if you could... Got my new tv fitted by the experts...lol i knew more than them... All seems ok with auto on/off got some serious clouding near left hand corner about 2 inches from corner and sligt clouding in usual areas which aint too bad.... What i will say is that the 3d picture with this set is nothing short of outstanding only slight crosstalk compared to the other 2 faulty tvs...

Is that the disney wow bluray???

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
Just a heads up to say that firmware 1014 is now available via the TV's update menu.
This release will make the network connection much more stable. :cheers:

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Sorry about the delay, I've been getting sunburned! 8)

The current version is in fact 001016 and is available via Samsung's website, but this one will need a USB stick.
Just download the .exe file onto the stick, double click to run the file using your PC.
This will create the update folder after a minute or so.
Insert the stick into the Tv and update via the menu as usual.

Again, please reset the SmartHub afterwards using the "tools" menu, you should be seeing SmartHub version 4.452-5.0

fubar925

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Well just an update on the thread.. Where to start.. has mentioned before the Tv has had slight light bleed issue in all four corners well its got worse especially the lower left hand corner. I contacted samsung on Tuesday this week and sent them pictures of the fault (after about an hour on the phone waiting got through to someone....!!!) Then after 24hr wait they got back to me and told me the Tv needed to be repaired ok not to fussed about repair was told bss-online would contact me.

Got a call from a young lady to arrange a call out a few hours later she said to me that it was company policy that they need to see some photos of the fault why they couldnt get from samsung I dont know...And niether did she. got a call on Thursday from said young lady to be told that the service manager does not belive there is a fault with my Tv and would not be coming out.!!!! Even though samsung tech guys have said there was a fault and it needed to be repaired. I phoned said service manager and had a heated discussion some thing along the lines of how could he make that decision from a low qualty picture that was sent by email.. cue i kid you not roughly 5 hours on and off talking to samsung in which I was told that the Tv would be replaced and to call the retailer and tell them to call customer supprt for an uplift number which the young lad at apollo 2000 tried to do but couldnt get through so I tried to contact samsung again and I was told now that they would not replace it....!!! that they would send another repair man after getting through to another department was then told they wont send a repair man. I was at the end of my tether with it all I could not belive it.... I gave up with contacting samsung..

Anyway got up this morning Your going to laugh the Tv would not and still will not connect to wifi this as been an issue since I got the Tv which I reported to samsung on the day got the Tv basically had to do a reset of the tv to kick start the wifi this has happened a few times in the month had tv no biggie for me dont use smart Tv that much any how the wifi is now completely stopped working... Cue stress wasnt up for contacting samsung again plus phone bill couldnt take it. Well the wife pointed out that we took out insurance with domestic and general when we brought the Tv I had completely forgot..... Yay joy.... No after reading the small print they would not undertake repair work while still under manufacturer guarantee....gutted... Well thought would contact apollo 2000 and complain about the useless insurance i have paid £699 for... I managed to get through to the manager who had been trying to contact me to dicscuss the issues I had had.. Well the young lad had managed to get through to samsung and talk to the guy who had said he would give me an uplift number.... the guy at samsng told the retailer he was wrong and would not be able to issue an uplift number.. But the good news is that the manager has said he will now do what ever it takes to get the uplift number for me so I can be shot with this crap Tv....

Now what are my options for a replacement?

Sorry so long winded just getting it all off my chest..

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
fubar925 said:
Now what are my options for a replacement?

For similar money as you have spent on your Samsung, assuming that you get a refund - the Sony KDL-55HX853 or the Panasonic TX-P65ST50. A third choice might be LG's top LED, the 55LM960V. But if you can (which isn't always possible) try to see them in action before buying.

fubar925

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah was looking at the sony but been reading that it suffers with banding when watching sport..? also looking at the panny txl55wt50 but 3d and blacks are supposed to be off..?

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all!
Update firmware 1018.1 is now available for this set . . . .
Network connectivity & SmartHub should be much improved :dance:

Remember to do a full reset after upgrading (your personal settings will survive!)

Paul.

I know this is quite late and not even related to current events, but star trek is just that grainy. It's grainy on my LCD and its grainy on my dads Kuro, it was grainy when I saw it at the cinema.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
"Remember to do a full reset after upgrading (your personal settings will survive!)"

I meant to say a full SmartHub reset, which is different from a full factory reset of course! :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts