Same brand or same group co. amp-speaker combos that excel

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Is there merit in getting same brand amp-speaker or group company combo? Does it offer more value for the same money. ? Any incredible sub USD2500 combos folks can share ?

Is there merit in getting same brand amp-speaker or group company combo? Does it offer more value for the same money. ? Any incredible sub USD2500 combos folks can share ?
I am not so sure there is always the suggested synergy when buying products from the same Group, they are mearly pushing out products that they think will sell well.
items from the same Brand however often work well together as they are frequently developed in conjunction with one another.
Look at Quad for example.I

You fail to mention anything about your room size of whether you want standmount or floorstanding speakers so it is difficult to make any suggestions at the moment.

I cannot think of many obvious pairings that benefit from being developed by the same brand.
There is, for example, a quite new little Rega io system of turntable, amp and speakers for £1000 which I’m sure is very good. And Naim have promoted systems paired with their (owners) Focal speakers. But by far the best UK deals are from dealers who bundle well liked items together and offer significant reductions when bought as a system.
I expect there are similar offers in the USA, but I’ve no knowledge of these from the other side of the pond.
Items that naturally sit together like CD player/streamer and amp are much easier to choose as a pair, with speakers more a matter of taste.

The Quad Artera Play+ is often found bundles with their S2 bookshelf speakers for £1600 although you would need to add their stereo power amplifier, unfortunately another £1500. Lovely system if you can find it second hand mind you.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I cannot think of many obvious pairings that benefit from being developed by the same brand.
There is, for example, a quite new little Rega io system of turntable, amp and speakers for £1000 which I’m sure is very good. And Naim have promoted systems paired with their (owners) Focal speakers. But by far the best UK deals are from dealers who bundle well liked items together and offer significant reductions when bought as a system.
I expect there are similar offers in the USA, but I’ve no knowledge of these from the other side of the pond.
Items that naturally sit together like CD player/streamer and amp are much easier to choose as a pair, with speakers more a matter of taste.
Room 13 feet x 11 feet approx . Looks like other than price bundling advantage there doesnt seem to be advantage sonically in buying same brand/group amp-spkr. I was under the illusion that there are some magic hidden combos out there ?

Room 13 feet x 11 feet approx . Looks like other than price bundling advantage there doesnt seem to be advantage sonically in buying same brand/group amp-spkr. I was under the illusion that there are some magic hidden combos out there ?
I would say there are some but as so much depends on the right speakers to suit your room buying a bundle is no guarantee of sonic happiness.

It’s a useful sized room, as long as it is not too full of furnishings, so you’ve no special restrictions that come to my mind. Some traditional pairings, like Rotel amplifiers with B&W speakers, were popular. In that case the amps were imported by the speaker manufacturers.
If you come up with some options, you may get input from those who’ve heard the items.

Having worked for a few major retailers who are more interested in online sales than in-store customers nowadays, I found most “bundles” offered by them are profit driven, or are paired together purely because they’re two brands/products (electronics and speakers) that are the current hot products or 5 star products - you won’t find a bundle involving a 3 star product, for example.

System synergy doesnt necessarily come from one brand, and obviously there are many electronics manufacturers that don’t make loudspeakers, and vice versa.

insider9

The Quad Artera Play+ is often found bundles with their S2 bookshelf speakers for £1600 although you would need to add their stereo power amplifier, unfortunately another £1500. Lovely system if you can find it second hand mind you.
If you lucky to enjoy that sound then it's great. I didn't. That's a general risk that's being run when you confine yourself to one brand.

If you lucky to enjoy that sound then it's great. I didn't. That's a general risk that's being run when you confine yourself to one brand.
I didn't say everyone was going to like it, and yes confining yourself to a one make system is not a good idea in my opinion. The fact you didn't like the setup is irrelevant, it was a suggestion to the OP that he might audition.

insider9

I didn't say everyone was going to like it, and yes confining yourself to a one make system is not a good idea in my opinion. The fact you didn't like the setup is irrelevant, it was a suggestion to the OP that he might audition.
We're very much in agreement. I think I've replied in haste and didn't provide enough background. This was the combo you were referring to that I've demoed. And as much as I wanted to like it, it didn't do anything for me. I do however have a very different taste to most. So here's to OP to finding what he likes 🍻

Ruark Audio R5 with Ruark Audio MRX Speakers
Naim Atom with Focal Choral 816.

Not easy is it? Unless you cheat with Sound United products, then Denon and Marantz with B&W.
About the only setups I can think of are vintage ones from Quad and B&O. In the equally far off times when folks bought ‘stack’ or ‘tower’ systems, it was usually the electronics from Technics, JVC, Sansui, Sony or Hitachi, with speakers from speaker manufacturers rather than imported Japanese ones

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Me neither, though I suggested Rega in the third post. It’s just not really a thing these days, imo.

Although having not heard it myself, those that can afford it seem to like the Isis/ Osiris combo. Adding in the RS10 is seemingly a pretty amazing combo as well.
Again, not something I've been fortunate enough to listen to, but those that have seem very happy.
You'd probably be pretty daft to leave out the Planar 10 if a bit of vinyl is called for!

How many manufacturers can manage an entire system like that?!!

Although having not heard it myself, those that can afford it seem to like the Isis/ Osiris combo. Adding in the RS10 is seemingly a pretty amazing combo as well.
Again, not something I've been fortunate enough to listen to, but those that have seem very happy.
You'd probably be pretty daft to leave out the Planar 10 if a bit of vinyl is called for!

How many manufacturers can manage an entire system like that?!!
Not many, although at those exalted levels of course Linn can offer a superb turntable, arm, cartridge, streamer, preamp and active speakers. In fact, they have a wide range, but most of it is a bit pricey!

Reactions: Al ears

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks much for the all the responses.I think the safe conclusion is not much to be gained by same brand/house combo other than price bunding advantage if offered by seller.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts