sacd players

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi there aversaurus,

The Sony player I have does seem to play a very clear and clean sound. It was not very expensive and I bought it to try the improved audio over red-book cd and the multichannel output options. War of the Worlds sounds great, as does Elton John and Genesis in surround sound. Player listed in my footer. Can't complain. Even regular cd's sound very good.

Good luck and enjoy the music.

A

Anonymous

to be honest i dont no what one to get.there are two onkyo cd players i like the c7070 and the onkyo sacd.i have also been pointed at the rega apollo and the arcam.but its hard to get good reviews for the onkyo,s and the rega,s maybe out of my price range.im looking for a upgrade for my cambridge 640c but im just confused of which way to go help !!!!!!!! :wall:

T

the record spot

I've had a range of SACD players over the last five or six years. The best CD spinners were my current one, the Marantz SA7001-KI, and for non-SACD but CD only check out the Linn Mimik (the Mark 2 model is still supported by Linn) and Kenwood's DP7090. A truly great player from 1998. Overlooked in favour of the Marantzes and Arcams of the day but enjoyed a glowing review and crammed in eight(!) Burr-Brown DACs.

A

Anonymous

record spot what do you think of the onkyo c7070 looks good to me .i will have a look on the bay for the one,s you have surgested .there a kenwood one but pickup only i may ask if they will post out.

A

Anonymous

record spot what do you think of the onkyo c7070 looks good to me .i will have a look on the bay for the one,s you have surgested .there a kenwood one but pickup only i may ask if they will post out.

T

the record spot

The Kenwood one's the 7090! Keep an eye on it as it probably won't go for much, less than £100 I'd have though, maybe much less.

No idea re: the Onkyo, but if it's anything like the 8050, you'll probably be on a winner. Looks like a nice player and a good spec.

A

Anonymous

i will have a go at the kenwood and if no joy its the onkyo .record spot what would you go for cd or sacd ?

T

the record spot

I've had a few SACDs over the years, but it's no biggie. Some say it jumps out at you, but I think it's more down to the mastering of the album, irrespective of the format to hand. I've got some truly brilliant CDs, I've got some truly awful SACDs. The thing really is to get to know which are the masterings to go for, or the mastering engineers to follow. If folk spent more time on that than worrying about which cable will do this or that for their stereos, they'd get a whole lot more out of the music they listen to.

The Kenwood though is a very good player for the money. Maybe go for a cheaper SACD player - something like Samsung's DVD-950H which was also one I had a few years back. Worth the £20 you'd probably have to pay for it just now!

manicm

Cheaper SACD players convert the DSD to PCM before it hits the DAC - and this is even how some high-end Blu-ray players do it I'm afraid.

Yes, mastering is important, but the player matters too. Also, some make a huge fuss over hybrid SACDs which is much ado about nothing. If they have the DSD layer that's all that matters.

A

Anonymous

i think the mastering does come into it.but still not sure which way to go cd or sacd .and when it come s to advice about cd players it seems to be very much each to there own.so i may hold off and keep looking .thanks all for the help

manicm

IMHO, having said what I did previously, your best bet would be a universal player like the Denon 2012 (you should easily find one for 500 quid), or Cambridge Audio 751BD (they stubbornly don't discount it yet). These players play CD very well too - I have the 751BD.

A

Anonymous

how about just going for the Marantz CD6004 .it has very good reviews it won,t break the bank .any veiws ?.

T

the record spot

Am sure it'll be absolutely fine. Marantz make good players and they've been consistently strong in the sub-£500 range for years now, going all the way back to the CD52-MkII and probably even earlier.

A

Anonymous

i have a cd52 mk2 but it skips now and then it is a good player

A

Anonymous

to be honest record spot the thing what worrys me is that i spend £500 or more and when i get it i cant hear a diffrence

T

the record spot

Well, arrange a demo of some players you find, then decide. Best way really. I wouldn't spend more than that now, but I think with my current digital source, I'm pretty sorted now. The Denon's been an unbelieveable find and is beyond what I'd expected of it. In fairness though, it was £1000 on release.

A

Anonymous

thats what i was thinking but will have to take my amp with me not much danger of any hifi shop round hear having one to test the cd players out

A

Anonymous

the wild card the onlyo c7070 just couldnt resist the spec,s look so good

A

Anonymous

i will put up a review for it when it comes cant wait to here it through my recaped sansui 717

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts