rx1 or rxfx

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hey everybody. for the moment i am using th efollowing speaker set up Monitor audio rx6 fronts, MArx1 rears and the Rx center. i am not realy happy with the surround sound of the rears (yet) My room is 4 by 5 meters with the back of the couch against the 5 meter wall and i only have about half a meter of place on each side of the couch to put my rears. so i have put my rx1's in that place pointed to me. is it maybe better to by Rxfx speakers and put them on the back wall for a better surround sound? or isn't that a good idea if there is no place between the couch and the wall?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Dipole rear speakers are intended for side wall use, and ideally need to be about a metre/metre and a half from the rear walls in order to avoid HF and mid reflection.

Is it the 'direct' sound from the RX1's that you're not getting on with, or the lack of ideal placement for the speaker itself?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My RXFX are on the back wall behind my sofa which is about a foot from the wall. Surround effects sound very good.

Do you intend to replace your RX1s with RXFX or have both I'm a little confused.

A

Anonymous

placing them on the side walls is not an option because i would have to place them to closte to the wall.

the problem is that i am not getting a real cinema like experience so i was wondering if thats because i cant put the rears behind me but beside me.

thats why i was asking about the rxfx speakers and maybe replace my rx1's if that would be a better sollution in my case.

sorry for my englisch but i am from Belgium :)

this is a picture of the back wall

sized_DSC_0012.JPG

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes I see your problem. Maybe wall mounted rears would be better but you would need to sit in the middle of them to get the best sound.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/assets/files/manuals/silver-rx.manual.pdf

try this link it might give you an idea of ideal speaker placement and then you can try and get as close to it as you can with your room restraints.

A

Anonymous

al already read the manual but still dont know what to do :quest:

if i have to keep them a meter away from the wall i only have about 1m40cm between them, is that not to close?

and wil the sound not be passing over my head as i am sitting right up against the wall?

and i have to sit in the middle now to i guess :)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Of course you already sit in the middle :doh:

RXFX are meant to be positioned 2 feet above ear height so I don't think you need to worry about the sound going over your head.

Is there any way you could pull your sofa forward a little or does it have to be right up against the wall?

Like I said my sofa is a foot away from the back wall, my RXFX are 5 feet apart and only 6inches from the side walls. As my sofa is in an alcove this is the best position I am able to use. It's not optimal but then who has a large room that's exactly square or rectangle with nothing else except av equipment in? Some lucky person :dance:

I think my surround sound is still very good non the less.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
A silly experiment maybe but free and taking seconds. Try swapping one speakers terminals to set it out of phase. Then try both. No scientific reason but may help to diffuse the sound. Do let me know if this is good or crazy! Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes ben I do ! (Impressed or what?). Mine do sound fine but I think moving them very small amounts can have a significant effect. They certainly need fine tuning. I also have rears behind the settee to give as wide rear image as possible. The polarity swap I tried a while back. Not necessarily better or worse but certainly different.

A

Anonymous

the sofa has to be right up against the wall because there just not enough place to move it forward.

so what should i do?

replace the rx1's by rxfx or not ??? :? :?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Pic not that clear. Can u push the speakers back to the wall firing towards centre of room/towards setee. Try my phase swap. Dare I mention room treatment? Try moving them slightly it can make a big difference. What exactly is the problem? Agree with Ben that a few inches behind setee makes a difference

A

Anonymous

do you mean that i should try to put the speakers with the back against the back wall or the side wall?

do the speakers have to be pointed directly to the listenig position?

should there not be a little room between the back of the speakers and the wall?

what you mean by room treatment? sorry i am from belgium there for my english is just so and so :cry:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c3RJCRpAvNk/UMEeHzv3joI/AAAAAAAAA_0/HUCMemHhL8k/DSC_0012.JPG

is this better ?

A

Anonymous

don't know if this quick drawing is any help

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zu9YdrsU_Hk/UMHwueNf9dI/AAAAAAAABAI/JkIra8_a1go/Naamloos.png

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Suggest u take a look at my pics. Similar layout. I dont think u will find one answer. Try some of these ideas first.

Room treatment I mean bass traps and absorbers.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

thx robin

i see you pointed your rears much more to the middle of the room,

i will try this too and see what happens :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would try any angle. Even pointing slightly out towards walls. As well as the other ideas here. Maybe need to see fronts too. Are u 5.1 or 7.1? In small rooms and setee close to wall u may need to try unusual positions and levels. You may need some traps too. Can u describe what the problem is too?

All this ONLY my opinion. Others may help too.

Cheers

ps Is yr room 4m@5m? The settee against the 5m wall?

And we assume yr setup is good from amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts