A

Anonymous

Only 2 options I can think of:

1 buy an apple TV and use airplay on your iMac £99
2 buy the yamaha YBA10 and stream via Bluetooth £84

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming both the iMac and the Yamaha are on the same network, I don't see any reason why the streaming shouldn't work, provided you have some streaming server software on the iMac to enable the Yamaha to 'see' the content on the computer.

Elgato EyeConnect, loaded on the iMac, will do the job for you: it's free to try for 30 days, and after that will cost you $49.95. But if you don't buy, the trial version will continue to stream audio - you only need to buy if you want to stream video, too.

Of course, all this means the iMac will need to be on any time you want to stream content: the alternative is to put a network attached storage (NAS) device on your network, and store the content on that. This will allow streaming to the Yamaha even when the iMac is turned off.

A

Anonymous

Could these also be done on a normal laptop or even with the xbox360 with media player?

Just establishing if I really need to buy an apple TV or YBA10 bluetooth receiver (probably the apple TV for the cost difference).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, I run EyeConnect on the MacBookPro on which I'm typing now, and every UPnP/DLNA client device I've tried of late has been able to see it and stream from it, including various Naim Unitis, clients from Rotel, Arcam, Marantz, Yamaha and the like, and the Sony NetBox.

So I see no reason why you should have any probs with your set-up, but as I mentioned, the software is free to try...

A

Anonymous

Yes it is, although you need to "format the way in which the data is shared" using a DLNA client to broadcast this over your network.

I use twonkyserver as the DLNA client on my imac and my PS3 as the front end to access the video files. £13.12 inc VAT

I too have the RXV 1067 which recognises all my itunes library (c 46GB...) however i am at a loss to figure out the supported file formats for the video, via my Yamaha...

It sees them and i can browse them by date/folder etc, but it steadfastly refuses to play any of them...

Any ideas?

John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That could just be because the Yamaha will only play audio, not video, from network sources.

And haven't had to do any jiggery, or indeed pokery, to get devices to see content when using EyeConnect. They just found the podcasts, music and so on I have on my MacBook, and presented them for playback.

A

Anonymous

yep...as confirmed by yamaha last night...

Maybe a firmware upgrade would add this functionality?

here's to hoping

A

Anonymous

as the receiver supports MP4 structure file, it is not a huge transistion to allow for the video codec to be embedded in the firmware that address either the upscaling etc as the audio is already compliant to its existing capability...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's easy for you to say.
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Agreed!

LOL

But as stated if the audio layer is already dealt with and the amp has the video capacity...

It should be viable, at the will of Yamaha to pull their finger out and give us a media DLNA front end, rather than just limit to audio...

Bear in mind hat this is an AV amp/receiver...

Are you listening Yamaha?

John

PS after having played with it till my head hurts, as far as reading and then re-reading the pdf instruction manual, can confirm that the Kef eggs 2005.1 and .2 work rather well - good spatial separation, delicate when needed and full attack on demand.

Although the Yamaha mike leaves a bit to be desired as it is still convinced that i have one speaker out of phase and that the levels are not yet right, after about 20 repeats of the setup...

would be useful if the amp/receiver could on screen the speaker/zone or effects speakers that it thinks are affected on screen visually rather than as txt think it would massively increase the user friendlyness of the equipment and open it up to thse are who are slightly less tech/geek/OCD about their cinema sound...

smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts