Russ Andrews PowerMax Plus mains cable... still a 5-star even if the price has gone up by 43%?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Been researching mains cables to try and get a hike in performance and went to the Russ Andrews website. Their PowerMax Plus gained a 5-star rating a year ago from What Hi-fi but RA appears to have hiked the price in the meantime. A 1m version appeared to have costed £30 in April 2008 - when it got the 5-star - but it's £43 now.

I'm not sure how can RA continue to use a 5-star logo in its marketing when the current price is 43% higher than when reviewed but that's of secondary importance. $64k question is does the PowerMax Plus still merit a What hi-fi 5-star or have alternatives been reviewed in the meantime that it thinks are better/ Is the Clearer Audio Copper Line Alpha discussed on others threads a preferred choice?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I don't have experience with the RA cable. However, I bought a Copperline Alpha mains cable two weeks ago that i'm really pleased with. I got the 1.5 metre, but I think the 1 metre goes for about £35, with a 60 day 'no quibble' guarantee.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
RA uses Kimber cable from America so I suspect that his January 09 increases were more due £ vs $ scenario. RA also does 60 day trial so as per Clearer Audio if you don't like it or don't think its value you can return it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, and if the price remains and no-one else's increases, unlikely though that it, it will be taken into account next time the cable appears in a group test.

A

Anonymous

Fair points, one and all. Shall give the Clearer Audio a shot, I think, as it's a bit more affordable but will look out for the next test with interest.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Cannot comment on other companies but I know many are putting their prices up. However in these tough economic times we have no planned price increases. The Copper-line Alpha Power Cable remains at £35.00 for a 1m length (actually £34.26 with the VAT cut) as originally reviewed. Free UK delivery also still applies.

All the best,
Darren

TRENDING THREADS