Russ Andrews GQ-24. What will I get for my £26 ?

idc

I should go into more detail for 1 - better sound quality. I ditched an Arcam CD62 and switched to ipod with the GQ-24 because I was, after loads of comparisons, getting the same SQ from both to my ears. The impact of the ipods EQ settings plays a big part in the sound. I used Jazz until I switched from my X-CANV2 to my V8P and now I find the EQ switched off sounds better.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well my iPhone will not be competing with my CD player in the SQ stakes but I want to get Spotify going on it.

I have a Spotify account but - due to the SSL/VPN connection and corporate firewalls I sit behind on my work-at-home system - the Spotify application does not work until I log out from my work connection.

My iPhone however does not sit behind all that corporate/work stuff, so the new iPhone Spotify app could be the workaround I need.

(Spotify and MP3 downloads from amazon are the only things that get affected by my work connection. iTunes downloads and BBC iPlayer application work fine strangely.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Oops!

Just re-downloaded the Spotify application onto my home-working system and it now works - despite being logged in via work connection.

Something must have changed in the 2 months since I last tried (unsuccessfully).

I won't need to use the iPhone Spotify app now and therefore won't need the GQ-24.

Sorry. I didn't foresee that. (Maybe someone on my company's firewall team is a Spotify user.)

idc

Your experience may be connected to the instance where Spotify was deemed by Mcafee to be a virus and it was blocked. There may have been a similar occurrance with your firewall. The blame lay with Mcafee, but Spotify are aware that there programme can 'fool' anti-virus/firewalls.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
What improvements did you get using your iPod/iPhone with a Russ Andrews CG-24 lead instead of the usual connection via the 3.5mm jack?

How can a cable have any effect on SQ?

It's not scientifically possible, even if it's got cheese coating on the copper it will sound the same as every other cable. Fools, anyone who spends money on a cable I tell you.

A

Anonymous

I think it bypasses the pod's volume stage and hence is a line-out equivalent at max volume, rather than reduced through the vol output of the ipod .....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:How can a cable have any effect on SQ?
It's not scientifically possible, even if it's got cheese coating on the copper it will sound the same as every other cable. Fools, anyone who spends money on a cable I tell you.

Joel... it is the iPod connector on the GQ-24 and the effect of using it (instead of the 3.5mm jack) to bypass the built in volume control of the iPhone that is the significant point I was asking about. Not the properties of the wire.

The GQ-24 just happens to be the only cable of it's type I know about that has an iPod connector --> 3.5mm minijack. I could not give a rat's ____ about it being made of Kimber cable or being sold by Russ Andrews. (In fact rather wish it weren't sold by Russ Andrews. It makes the whole thing rather embarassing given his dubious record!)

And you picked the wrong target for your sarcasm. (See the sig.) I have 'speciality' speaker cable and interconnects from Chord and Naim. Not exactly Maplin's bell wire. The Naim DIN interconnects cost £75 each if you have to buy them seperately and the NAC-A5 cost me £115. Not in your league though, I admit that.

(Although it did not take me 30 changes of cable to realise the difference! Once was enough.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:JoelSim:How can a cable have any effect on SQ?

Joel... it is the iPod connector on the GQ-24 and the effect of using it (instead of the 3.5mm jack) to bypass the built in volume control of the iPhone that is the significant point I was asking about. Not the properties of the wire.

The GQ-24 just happens to be the only cable of it's type I know about that has an iPod connector --> 3.5mm minijack. I could not give a rat's ____ about it being made of Kimber cable or being sold by Russ Andrews. (In fact rather wish it weren't sold by Russ Andrews. It makes the whole thing rather embarassing given his dubious record!)

And you picked the wrong target for your sarcasm. (See the sig.) I have 'speciality' speaker cable and interconnects from Chord and Naim. Not exactly Maplin's bell wire. The Naim DIN interconnects cost £75 each if you have to buy them seperately and the NAC-A5 cost me £115. Not in your league though, I admit that.

(Although it did not take me 30 changes of cable to realise the difference! Once was enough.)

Wasn't aimed at you Chebby.

And 30 cables over 20 years isn't bad going, although many of those have been recently.

manicm

JoelSim:chebby:

What improvements did you get using your iPod/iPhone with a Russ Andrews CG-24 lead instead of the usual connection via the 3.5mm jack?

How can a cable have any effect on SQ?

To repeat what Chebby said, either you didn't read the post properly or you've lost the plot completely - it's not about the cable as such for the iPod - but the type of cable when connecting to the hifi.

It's a well-known, universal fact you'll get better sound and convenience by using a dock connector phono cable/dock like the GQ-24 which provides a cleaner output and bypasses the iPod's volume control.

BTW, I've Arcam Solo kit so naturally I'm using an rDock with iPod touch with good cable and AIFF files and a few MP3s - and it sounds a lot better than one would think.

Then again I'm one of those crackpots who happens to think Apple Lossless does not sound that great. :)

TRENDING THREADS