russ andrews GQ-24 and HIFI sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have the apple iPod classic with all lossless songs on it, but my question is, if I connected it upto my creek evo amp, epos M5 speakers, would this give a decent sound, or would it be miles away from cd quality?

I have the 640 V2 cambridge cd player, and know it will not be near that at all, but would it be half decnt?

Thanks in advance, phil

idc

There will be those who will vehemently disagree with this, but I think ipod to amp via a GQ-24 results in a very good sound. Will it be miles away from CD quality? No, especially if you are using lossless. I promise it will be more than half decent. In any case you get a trial period with RA and they have a sale on at the moment, so a small discount is available.

When you first try out the ipod remember that the eq settings have a big impact on how the sound is. The cable only bypasses the volume control of the ipod, leaving the volume control to the amp. I was using jazz as my favoured setting for virtually all music. But after a change of amp I now have the eq switched off (which has the advantage of extending battery life). The only disadvantage I can see is that the GQ-24 does not allow the ipod to recharge whilst in use. I can get a good four of music from my classic between charges.

Phil, try it with confidence and let us know how close it gets to the CDP and which eq setting you use.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will give the cable a go, and see how it sounds. I saw they have a sale on, so might go for it right away.

I have about 100 CD's upstairs, and about 500 downstairs. It is mainly because I cannot be bothered to wlak down stairs and get the other CD's I was looking at it.... How lazy is that!

idc

potboyslim:

.... How lazy is that!

Very
emotion-2.gif
. The convenience of using an ipod was a deciding factor when I decided to ditch the old traditional hifi. Factor in the flexibility of random play. playlists and my own made up 'best ofs' as well. Then the excellent sound quality is an added bonus.

idc

idc:

There will be those who will vehemently disagree with this.......

It was tempting to type 'JoelSim will vehemently disagree with this...'! I wish he would sell/give away the Bose Sounddock he goes on about keeping in the cupboard. It saddens me to think that it could give another person joyful music who otherwise could not afford such kit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc: I wish he would sell/give away the Bose Sounddock he goes on about keeping in the cupboard. It saddens me to think that it could give another person joyful music who otherwise could not afford such kit.

Doing his bit to rid the world of one more iPod speaker by keeping it in his cupboard.

John Duncan

chebby:
idc: I wish he would sell/give away the Bose Sounddock he goes on about keeping in the cupboard. It saddens me to think that it could give another person joyful music who otherwise could not afford such kit.

Doing his bit to rid the world of one more iPod speaker by keeping it in his cupboard.

I'd keep a Bose Sounddock in a cupboard...

idc

Please support the PCBS (Prevention of Cruelty to Bose Sounddocks). If you know of anyone who has put an innocent and fantastic sounding Sounddock in a cupboard, so depriving others of the chance to own, second hand, a brilliant piece of hifi kit, then report them here, on the forum.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I want to use an iPod classic for my entire cd collection and have it permanently connected to my Sony AV receiver. I want the best audio quality I can get while being able to display the track/album info on my tv and control it with a remote.

I have only just started to look so any advice or reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I second what idc says, it is excellent way to hook up your ipod and sounds superb (especially given it's price). It's not as good my CD or vinyl playback but not too far off, the main thing I've found is I need to up the volume a bit more more than either CD or vinyl (I also leave the EQ off on my ipod) but that's a minor point. I personally think it's one of the best hi-fi accessories money can buy.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
have just listened to my new GQ-24, using the same piece of music and compared it to the CD and the older (cheap LOD - bought for £18 from a "premium apple reseller" on Oxford St). It's only for use on a mini system in our bedroom, but my god, what a difference! The sound from the GQ-24 is stunningly good as against the generic LOD it replaces, and (although it's early days) seems much closer in sound to the CD.

emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS