Russ Andrews 50 top tips

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure yet. I have been tinkering with the idea of dipping a toe into hi def music?? This is where the macbook tinker will come into its own...

Would be interesting to see your Sonus Faber grand piano speakers turned upside down!! As suggested to try in the top tips.... :shifty:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy said:
Would be interesting to see your Sonus Faber grand piano speakers turned upside down!! As suggested to try in the top tips.... :shifty:

Well Ken Ishiwata famously did this with two pairs of Mordaunt Short Performance 6 speakers for his demo at the Munich show a few years back... :)

0316.jpg

A

Anonymous

Wife will do her nut when she gets in later. Freezer is now full of CD's getting the RA deep freeze treatment.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Wife will do her nut when she gets in later. Freezer is now full of CD's getting the RA deep freeze treatment.
Why will she care? Unless you have taken all the frozen food out to make room.... Try turning your speakers upside down, then she will do her nut.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
What a mixed bag of information. There is some very very good advice in that pdf (all of the points that are well known to be from sources without financial interest), and an average speaker placement guide. Evenly sprinkled amongst the pdf is voodoo though. Very clever, making sure a piece of sound advice is placed either side to add gravitas to the warbling’s of the insane. A great persuasive marketing technique and one found in powerful religious cult leaders. Tip number 51 is the creation of an Aluminium Foil Deflector Beanie as a type of headwear that can shield your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers.

john1000000boy said:

Must confess that is one tweak I had never envisaged, and seeing the pic Clare has posted has put me right off!

I've got some old baby Missions (760 I think) that were one of the first to put the tweeter below the woofer. Thought is was a bit daft at the time, as had grown used to the conventional way, but they sounded great at the time so I bought them for a studio flat, and I really liked them. Even had them on the Krell when my Sf needed new terminal blocks a few years ago - still sounding good.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
Point 19 on the list (replace gold jumper bars with speaker wire on bi-wireable speakers). Is that right?

Plenty of people have done that, makes sense in a way, at least then you know both sets of terminals are being fed by the same combination of materials. A number of manufacturers use speaker cable between the bi-wire terminals instead of jumper bars, so there's nothing "wrong" with it, as such. Whether you believe it makes any difference is another matter.

And RA sells both bi-wire cables, and the alternate jumpers, so he gets your money either way!

Interesting how bi-wiring is falling out of favour, when it seemed to me ideal, if a bit extravagant. But wire jumpers are usually better than the (relatively cheap and crude) links that come with most speakers, including my Sfs.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny he should mention about not using the CD input (Tip 5).
I'm not sure how relevant it is on modern amps, but certainly on many older amps the best-sounding input was often the tape input, particularly if it had a dedicated analogue switch for tape monitor. The reason for this is that it was common for the other inputs to pass through lots of extra 'pre-amp' circuitry, while the tape monitor input (and switch) was often patched in much later up the chain, often just ahead of the volume control. The difference is (or was) very noticeable.

With regards to the kind-of-linked Tip 15, how relevant it is today I'm not sure, because few people use recorders that take an analogue feed from the amp. Some amps have selectable tape-out controls which you can set to a source you aren't listening to. The alleviates the need to unplug the recorder. But if you haven't such a control and you have an analogue recorder connected to a modern-ish amp with a passive pre, then I agree unplugging the recorder does make a difference as it removes the unnecessary load on the playback device (eg the CDP).

TRENDING THREADS