Running-in times?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there - I recently purchased the Arcam A70 amp (at a bargain price) to go with my Monitor Audio BR5s, I'm wondering how long it might take for it to run in? My friend has the same set-up and sounds wonderful.. think I'm a bit impatient hehe.

A

Anonymous

Amplifiers don't need running in, but you may need to become accustomed to the sound. I presume you've had the speakers for a while.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply - I've had the speakers for about two months, although I replaced the speaker cable at the same time as the amp (last week) so that prob needs a while?

A

Anonymous

No, speaker cable doesn't need running in either. Maybe change it back?

A

Anonymous

Jim, may i suggest that when making such statements you add IMO at the end?
there are many people - hi-fi manufacturers, reviewers and end-users that insist that hi-fi products, especially amplifiers need to be run in before their optimal sound is acheived.
i am not saying that they are right and you are wrong... simply that in order to avoid conflict on these forums it is better to state that what you have written is your own opinion and as such the OP can take it on its own merit...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I used to have an A70 from new and whether it was me getting used to the sound or whether the electronics do need warming up and running in (which many manufacturers do suggest is the case) - i certainly felt it got better after a week or two of use.

Is your own set up exactly the same as your friends including speaker cable, player and interconnects? From my experience i got a much better sound from the A70 when i moved from Silver Anniversary XT cable to Chord Silverscreen, so each little detail including room dynamics can change how it sounds.

You need to give it a couple of weeks i would say.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Amplifiers a few seconds to a few mins for circuits to stabilize, Cables none, cdp same as amps, speakers usually a lot though there's an argument that after thats done s/quality actually deteriorates gradually and steadily. All imo of course and I dont really give a damn. If something does'nt sound quite right after a good home audition no running in will cure the problems. Thats where a lot of good folks start to question/tweak cables, trying to somehow achieve a listenable balance. A good system will sound so immediately. Anything after that is a bonus but far from guaranteed. Transistor distortion often increases when they get hotl.

A

Anonymous

I thought speaker cables would need running in if you changed the direction (please don't ask me why anyone would do this) - all that directionality business, you know, switch them round and they'll sound bad until sufficient time given to reverse the directionality. I haven't tried but doesn't that show they can theoretically be 'run in' ??

A

Anonymous

I've just recently got myself some Chord Rumour Bi-Wire speaker cables and the good 'doctor' from Chord Company said that it needs a running in period of at least 100 hours before the cables are optimised for maximum performance.

I had similar advise with my previous QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-Wire speaker cables.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:My CDP is definitely sounding better now than when it was straight out of the box a couple of weeks ago.

I have no doubt it does to you. My guess would be anyone else would'nt notice much if any difference. It has imo more to do with getting used to the new player's sound.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the sound was a little thrasy at first, and now it's more mellow. It's just the bits getting used to each other. Plenty of reviews have also said this and they can't all be wrong.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough JS. Is'nt Hifi with all its idiosynchracies and different aspects great. I ordered a cheap gotham interconnect recently and did'nt hear any difference no matter which way (directionality) I've used them and it still sounds the same as on day one. Same with most systems I listen to. Perhaps minute changes for a few mins and then pretty much the same.

Maybe I'm just getting old ...
emotion-7.gif
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

Debagio:Hi there - I recently purchased the Arcam A70 amp (at a bargain price) to go with my Monitor Audio BR5s, I'm wondering how long it might take for it to run in? My friend has the same set-up and sounds wonderful.. think I'm a bit impatient hehe.

what you might not be taking into account is the accoustics of the different rooms you and your friend are using. two identical setups can produce two considerably different results if they are setup in rooms with very different accoustic properties (room size and shape, wall and floor construction etc.).

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I'm with Jim on this, and, more to the point, so is science. He doesn't need an IMO.

Unless an item has a mechanical component, it's highly unlikely that any running in is going to do more than add to your electricity bill. Speakers, turntables, cartridges, they can all benefit from some running in. CD players can, in theory, too, in the sense of platter rotation idiosyncrasies, but the built-in speed error correction masks this. If your amp needs running in, then so does your GPS, computer, microwave - you see my point.

That said, it is, however, true, as has been pointed out in this forum, that
electrical components do perform better when they have reached their
optimum operating temperature. Therefore you could theoretically hear a
difference if you left your amp on for a while before using it as
compared to starting cold. Naim and other manufacturers recommend
leaving their equipment on permanently for just this reason.

But, as you and others correctly say, it's your ears that are doing the running in and are the major factor, as you become accustomed to the sound of the component.

I'm sorry if I'm going to cause conflict in this forum by saying this, but truth has to have a voice, surely?

A

Anonymous

I have some MA GR20's and remember them taking an eternity to sound at their best, 10's of hours at least, so don't get to disgruntled yet.

A

Anonymous

This question will always go on for a long time ,but with changing a major unit in a hifi a running / settling down time is a must .

Its so the internals can get used to the flow of power .

May be its a bit of both but I wanted to throw my cd player back when it was new no base & very harsh gave it a few weeks using a multitude of discs & it sounded great no matter what went in to it .

But it does show up poor cd recordings .

A

Anonymous

Taksinridgeback:
Sorry, I'm with Jim on this, and, more to the point, so is science. He doesn't need an IMO.

Unless an item has a mechanical component, it's highly unlikely that any running in is going to do more than add to your electricity bill. Speakers, turntables, cartridges, they can all benefit from some running in. CD players can, in theory, too, in the sense of platter rotation idiosyncrasies, but the built-in speed error correction masks this. If your amp needs running in, then so does your GPS, computer, microwave - you see my point.

That said, it is, however, true, as has been pointed out in this forum, that
electrical components do perform better when they have reached their
optimum operating temperature. Therefore you could theoretically hear a
difference if you left your amp on for a while before using it as
compared to starting cold. Naim and other manufacturers recommend
leaving their equipment on permanently for just this reason.

But, as you and others correctly say, it's your ears that are doing the running in and are the major factor, as you become accustomed to the sound of the component.

I'm sorry if I'm going to cause conflict in this forum by saying this, but truth has to have a voice, surely?

it might surprise you to know that i actually agree with you. scientifically there is no reason why an amp or CDP would need to be run in. however, manufacturers and reviewers alike both recommend that these components benefit from being run-in. now before you dismiss their views, ask yourself in what way are they benefiting from saying this?

A

Anonymous

Wow...! Many thanks for all responses.

I can see both sides of this debate and I do agree that I probably need to adjust to the new sound that my system has. Incidentally, I usually turn my system on a good half-hour before use to make sure it's sufficiently warm.

This is obviously a passionate area of discussion!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts