Ruark or neat

Longshanks

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone used Ruark prelude floorstanders with Naim kit ?. I have a chance to get a pair for around £250 , i already run a pair of neat mystiques hooked up , and i wondered if the Ruarks would be an improvement . Any advice welcome .

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
As I've previously mentioned here, buying and selling on well-known auction sites can be a very helpful way of auditioning kit, if you buy & sell the kit at the right times.

If you take a punt on used classics, the price compares very well to new for equivalent quality products, you won't lose too much later on should you wish to sell them on and it also gives you plenty of time (months if necessary) to really get to know the sound of the speakers / component very well. A really long audition then.

I'm also a long-time Ruark fan. They have a stunning blend of detail, PRAT and yet a highly natural quality at the same time.

The only real caveat is quality. Ruarks were made well, but I'm shocked at times at how badly speakers get treated and many Ruark classics are at least 10 years old now, so genuinely mint ones are not easy to find. This is especially true of floorstanders as their sheer size makes transporting them without original boxes more prone to damage. So if you were interested, I'd be keen to see some close-up photos of any scratches or dings. If the seller hasn't bothered to do this, then they might not be the sort of open and trustworthy seller you really want to do business with.

Finally, I've not heard Naim and Ruarks together, although in theory they could be a winning blend, as both have a reputation for excellent timing. My Ruarks are pretty neutral-to-slightly-forward, so they will serve up whatever shortcomings are amplifying them.

plastic penguin said:
Another Ruark fan but...

Having heard the Sabre IIIs I wouldn't partner them with Naim kit. The top end can be provoked. Neat and Naim is a far safer combination.

I'm afraid I would have to concur with PP. Another Ruark fan but I don't think they would partner well with Naim. I must admit I have not heard those particular Ruarks but they may well have a 'house sound' that would not suit Naim.

May be OK to your ears though, and if you wanted to try them I am sure you wouldn't have too much trouble selling them on if they didn't quite give you what you're looking for.

Naim and Neat are an often recommended combo though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts