RSD Black Friday

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Anybody here planning to visit their local record shop today?

I’m so over RSD, yet every year some ‘lost’ impossible to source albums pop up & I’m a sucker for it. This is the first year that I’ve been really captured by the Black Friday releases even though I already have old pressings of Mamas & Papas and Gram Parsons. The price of double albums has at least put me off Little Feat.

Mamas & Papas - live at monterey
Gram Parsons - live at bijou cafe
Rilo Kiley - under the blacklight
Splinter - the place I love

Last edited:

Oxfordian

I did visit my record store today but didn't see much RSD activity, certainly nothing caught my eye of that nature.

However they did have a recent influx of secondhand vinyl which produced a handful of interesting LP's, with a good clean hopefully they'll play okay.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I did visit my record store today but didn't see much RSD activity, certainly nothing caught my eye of that nature.

However they did have a recent influx of secondhand vinyl which produced a handful of interesting LP's, with a good clean hopefully they'll play okay.
Thankfully the Black Friday event is more like the national album day nonsense, where no one really cares. Except me, for some reason. That Rilo Kiley album has been on my grail list for a long time, that might be why :)

What did you pick up?

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Thankfully the Black Friday event is more like the national album day nonsense, where no one really cares. Except me, for some reason. That Rilo Kiley album has been on my grail list for a long time, that might be why :)

What did you pick up?
Money for Nothing 12" single for a couple of quid
Communique - Dire Straits
Rocking all over the world - Quo (original 1977 pressing and plays as though its new)
Roberta Flack - Killing me softly
Fleetwood Mac - self titled

Got everything for less than the cost of a new modern day pressed album, if they all clean up and play as well as Rocking All Over the World I will be a happy bunny.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Money for Nothing 12" single for a couple of quid
Communique - Dire Straits
Rocking all over the world - Quo (original 1977 pressing and plays as though its new)
Roberta Flack - Killing me softly
Fleetwood Mac - self titled

Got everything for less than the cost of a new modern day pressed album, if they all clean up and play as well as Rocking All Over the World I will be a happy bunny.
Certainly a bargain if you're into that sort of music. And I do get frustrated with the pressing quality of the albums release these days and you can't return them because there are no visible surface imperfections. There is always some sort of surface noise, perhaps I need to clean them better! I dont know. Oh well is what it is

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Second hand vinyl can be a lottery, pieces of vinyl that look very good in the shop can sound like someone is in the room using a jack hammer when you play it, other LP’s with lots of scratches play superbly.

When I’m spending around £10 for an LP that is pretty old I’m not expecting perfection, it all depends how the vinyl has been cared for. I’m no record collector just buying music that I like.

I spent an average of just under £8 per item today, so far I have 3 hits and one miss with one still to play. Every piece of vinyl is over 30 years old, they all have some pops and clicks mostly on the first track right at the start where grubby fingers have been.

Normally it is the space between tracks that has the most noise, today is no exception.

I’ve been listening to vinyl since the mid 70’s, I know its not a silent medium, some pressings are better than others, I also understand that for some the baggage that comes with vinyl is too much and that CD’s or Streaming are better suited.

You’re right the quality of pressings today is very questionable, some get it spot on others leave a lot to be desired.

But I just love that tactility that comes with vinyl, the copy of Fleetwood Mac I picked up today is a 1975 original pressing from the USA, it has a textured sleeve, the original inner sleeve and a lyric sheet complete with coffee cup stain and it sounds just fine. I struggle to think of other entertainment sources that are this old (some older) and can still be played and enjoyed today.
Certainly a bargain if you're into that sort of music. And I do get frustrated with the pressing quality of the albums release these days and you can't return them because there are no visible surface imperfections. There is always some sort of surface noise, perhaps I need to clean them better! I dont know. Oh well is what it is

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts