RP 1 Rega turntable change record

riversun

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I bought Rega RP1 turntable year and half ago. Yesterday took it back to the shop because now it plays records too slow speed.

At the shop I was told that one must turn off the player from the round switch on the left every time the record is changed. Otherwise one gets this damaged motor or the rubber strap.

The instructions I understand that one is supposed to change the record while the turntable is rotating, only turn off at the end of the session of many records.

Does anyone know how the chnge of the record is done the best way? ....as I got new machine from the shop and want it to last longer......

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
riversun said:
I bought Rega RP1 turntable year and half ago. Yesterday took it back to the shop because now it plays records too slow speed.

At the shop I was told that one must turn off the player from the round switch on the left every time the record is changed. Otherwise one gets this damaged motor or the rubber strap.

The instructions I understand that one is supposed to change the record while the turntable is rotating, only turn off at the end of the session of many records.

Does anyone know how the chnge of the record is done the best way? ....as I got new machine from the shop and want it to last longer......

Rega state keep the platter turning as this reduces wear on the motor or belt - I did this all the time on the Rega TTs I have owned.

How do you know the platter is spinning slowly ? Is it audible ?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
riversun said:

The greatest strain on the motor (as I understand it) is in getting the heavy glass platter up to speed. Therefore, every time I'm going to use my turntable (Rega RP3), I give the platter a little spin with my fingers to get it (approximately) up to speed just before switching the power button on. I leave the turntable running while changing records in a 'listening session' as per Rega's instructions.

I don't think you've done anything wrong, you've most likely just been unlucky. Keep following the manufacturer's instructions and even if you hit a similar problem again, at least you should have some come-back in getting a repair/replacement.

riversun

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.....i knew this was the answer, although they told me differently in the shop! maybe i will also start to give some starting spin for the motor. rp1 does have a good sound....i love listening through my old lp's from the 70's, there are nuances old pioneer just did not repeat..........how about that rp3? is there even better?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, the RP3 is a huge improvement. But it does cost a lot more! I used to have a Rega Planar 2 from the 1980s – the RP1 is the latest version of that line – and the RP3 sounds totally different - it's more like having musicians playing in your room than listening to a recording. I realised I'd never heard more than a fraction of what's actually recorded on the discs. Now I'm hearing a larger fraction - with an even better deck I'd hear even more. But beware of 'upgraditis' - this was a treat to myself and an investment after 30 years of enjoying music with entry-level decks like the Planar 2. As long as you're enjoying your music and loving the sound, you don't need more expensive equipment. That's my theory, anyway.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the predecessor to the RP1 the Rega P1 and I am still enjoying this deck. I always manually spin the platter before starting it.
I currently off work after having an operation and have been spending time mulling over upgrading. The most frustrating aspect is I am currently not able to listen to my records as I am confind to bed at the moment.
At least I can go on the net and spend time on forums like this one.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Riversun, stopping and starting the motor for every disc is more likely to cause damage to the motor or belt than leaving it running. These are the techniques I use, if they're helpful.

Just before you switch the motor on, give the platter a gentle push, to approximately normal speed, then leave it running until you're done.

To place a disc onto the platter, and assuming you've got free access around your TT, hold the disc between the fingertips of both hands, and as you place the disc onto onto the mat, impart a slight twist in a clockwise direction, so as to reduce any friction damage, and also use a similar technique when lifting the disc, use the fingertips of both hands and apply a slight twist as you lift the disc off. You might practice, perhaps initially with the platter static, using an old LP if you have one, but it's fairly straight forward in practice.

riversun

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for reply. It was clearly audible that it was spinning too slow......the salesperson gave me new recordplayer so i don't blame him too much for giving wrong information, i will keep record spinning while changing them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts