rotel ra 931 mk2 and equaliser

Chris1991

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
Hello there. I have decided to upgrade my old pc speakers to something better. I bought a pair of tannoy's mercury speakers and thinking to buy a roter ra 931 mk2 amp. I want to ask, is it possible to plug an equalizer on that amp? I dont want cd/phono/tuner. Just the amp and equalizer. Is it possible to do that on a pc system? I have an external soundblaster g6 audio card.

Hello there. I have decided to upgrade my old pc speakers to something better. I bought a pair of tannoy's mercury speakers and thinking to buy a roter ra 931 mk2 amp. I want to ask, is it possible to plug an equalizer on that amp? I dont want cd/phono/tuner. Just the amp and equalizer. Is it possible to do that on a pc system? I have an external soundblaster g6 audio card.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by equaliser (graphic equaliser?) and why you need one, many thanks.
The amp does have tone controls

Chris1991

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
I mean the external graphic equaliser. The one that can control the band frequencies. My audio card has a build in equaliser but its not very useful. I need one because i listen to a lot music genres...from rock/metal to nightcore. And rap to greek traditional songs. So i like to play with the frequencies to make the sound a little better.

I see.
to be honest I don't think it will make it sound better, different maybe but not better.
all music is mastered in the studio to get it to how they think it should sound so all you would be doing is messing with that recording.
however, if you must attach one then yes you can. I am not sure how you would get signal from computer to the equaliser though.

Chris1991

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
Well technically yes. Not better for everyone but at least for my ears. Its very subjective.
Its not like pc-> external audio card--> amplifier aux/video? The equaliser connect s only on amplifier right?

Well technically yes. Not better for everyone but at least for my ears. Its very subjective.
Its not like pc-> external audio card--> amplifier aux/video? The equaliser connect s only on amplifier right?
Think of the equaliser as an analogue external audio card.
Some wiring ideas can be found here:-

Last edited:

Jimboo

I think 8f you upgrade to some overall better components then as has been hinted at , you will not need the comedy element that a graphic equaliser brings to the show. They are unnecessary.

Gray

Oh i think i messed up😅 thanks for the fast answers they were really helpful and on topic.
I wouldn't say you've messed up.
Some people can't do without physical tone controls. A graphic equaliser is just a more elaborate version.
If you want one, you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply - and the Rotel amp has tape loops so connection wouldn't be a problem.
I used to own a Rotel RE-700 which would suit you, watch out if you buy anything used though, there's plenty to go wrong.
You'd be better off taking the advice of others here and not bothering if sound quality is the priority, otherwise........please yourself 👍

Reactions: Roger_A and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts