Rotel RA-10 and Wharfedale 9.1 speakers

ruskiru

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My NAD C316BEE seems to be failing, producing a distorted sound. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rotel RA-10. Does anyone know if the Rotel is a good match for the Wharfedale 9.1s?

matthewpiano

Is your C316BEE not still under warranty? It might just be a simple repair.

Failing that, the RA-10 will work very well with the Wharfedales. I've heard the older RA-04SE with the 9.1s (and Rotel haven't changed much between models) and it was a very enjoyable combination. You will probably find it a bit cleaner sounding than the working NAD, particularly in the bass.

ruskiru said:
My NAD C316BEE seems to be failing, producing a distorted sound. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rotel RA-10. Does anyone know if the Rotel is a good match for the Wharfedale 9.1s?

Hi ruskiru

In the first instance try and get the fault rectified. As for a replacement amplifier at a budget of around £300 i'll recommend that you should also consider used/discontinued amplification route and look at a NAD C370 or Rotel's RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ruskiru

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

Unforuntely it's a year out of warranty. It started producing a raspy, hard fuzzy presentation in the midrange around six months ago and has got progressively worse. I think the speakers are OK and that the amp is clipping.

Probably the cost of sending it to the nearest service centre and any repair would be similar to buying a new amp, so it's nice to know the Rotel is a good match. I just have to hope the amp hasn't damaged the speakers.

ruskiru

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rick, but I live in Russia so getting things serviced or buying on the second hand market are probably not as simple as in the UK :) Especially as the nearest NAD service centre is 400 miles away in Moscow.

Hi ruskiru

Fair enough
smiley-smile.gif

Btw, what makes have you got available to you?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ruskiru

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
More or less everything that's available in the UK. Although I'd be relunctant to choose NAD again, since the C316 barely lasted two years. Though it was switched on 12 hours a day, every day, so it was used well.

Hi ruskiru

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to ask -

What source component/s are you using?

Are you looking for the new amplifier to have a similar tonal presentation as your NAD amplifier?

Any amplifiers available for you to audition before you buy?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ruskiru

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a KingRex UD-01 Pro DAC, so probably not many are familiar with how it sounds. But it has a big sound, and I've always felt that the NAD compresses it a bit. More breathing space is required.

The main problem is that the room is 25sq metres and the Wharfedale 9.1s small. While I enjoy the sound of the NAD, I think something with extra punch that gives more space around the instruments and air is needed. The Rotel would also give the option to add a power amp at a later stage.

I was also thinking about the possibility of upgrading to the Wharfedale 121s with the Rotel for a warmer presentation, but even while the 9.1s are a bit neutral for my tastes, they're so good in every other respect, I'm wary of giving them up. The reviews of the 121s seem very mixed.

Unfortuntely, there isn't much chance for auditioning. Although I do have the option to send back after two weeks if I don't like what I hear.

Max budget for the amp is £350.

Hi ruskiru

Thanks for your reply.

I think then it'll be also be worth trying amplifiers from Marantz, Yamaha and Cambridge Audio. I also feel that you should also consider NAD again. I say this because i've heard good things about their new D3020 amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Nad 326 BEE is more musical than Rotel. Rotel has a bit clinical sound, but with a bit more clarity and detail than Nad. Both have their advantages.

For me the NAD 326 BEE is the best musical sounding budget amplifier. Rega amps and new Pioneer stereo amps are also musical

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I find the RA10 to be more neutral than NAD amplification, so will work better with your speakers, in my opinion. I also find the Rotel amplification to exert better grip on the speakers, producing a tighter, more precise sound.

TRENDING THREADS