Rotel RA-04 enough for B&W CM1s?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
New user...hi

I had a look through the forums, I couldn't find anything specific to my question, so sorry if I'm repeating stuff.

I recently heard a friend's hi hi system and I thought I'd get into the game as well as I was blown away with the quality it offered. After hearing what I can get for my money over different price ranges I've kind of settled for this level of low-mid range system. I went into a shop in York and I had a demo with B&W 685s and CM1s through an RA-05. As I understand the RA-05 is the RA-04 with a remote. I prefer the CM1 sound to the 685, so I think I'll opt for those, the 685s sounded a bit too enveloping and the bass seemed a bit removed from the mid and top end, whereas the CM1s had a lot better synergy between the frequencies, although the bass was understandably weaker.

I liked what I heard in the shop, but would I get a lot more from a better amp? I really like the CM1s and even as a £100 upgrade from the 685s I think it's worth it, but that begs the question, would an upgrade of the amp do any better? I can't find a shop that stocks an RA-06 and the CM1, or at least noone had them both when I went in.

How much am I possibly losing out on with the RA-04? The guy in the shop that had RA-04s and CM1s said they go well, but the guy in the shop who only stocked the 600 series said it's not enough, and that the RA-04 suits the 600 but not the CM1...funny that :)

I'm just looking for a sensible and (relatively) unbiased opinion.

Are there any other options? The CA 650 with some Mezzos or Avianos looks good too. Obviously the sound is the main thing, but I like the look too, so Cyrus is out I'm afraid, anything else is fair game. I'm planning to use lossless and lossy MP3s with some CDs through my laptop or PS3 so I'll be using a DacMagic or Beresford probably.

I like to listen to anything from The Beatles, through prog rock, to Brit-pop, as well as classical stuff (one reason why i like the precision of the CM1s with respect to orchestral music)

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-04 is a very capable, budget-priced, integrated amplifier.

It will go very well with the B&W CM1's. Rotel amplifiers go very well with B&W loudspeakers.

I suppose that, price-wise, the CM1's probably would be ideally powered by a more expensive amplifier, but frankly, the RA-04 is fantastic. I am confident that you will be happy with the partnership - and that is the most important thing - if you are happy with the sound, that is all that matters.

The great thing is that, in the future, if you decide upon an upgrade to the amplifier, the CM1's will not hold your system back.

Hope that I have made sense here.

Dan.

T

the record spot

In addition, you can always add a Rotel power amp to the RA-04 at a later date if you need some extra 'oomph' down below. As it were...!

chris_beale:

New user...hi

I had a look through the forums, I couldn't find anything specific to my question, so sorry if I'm repeating stuff.

I recently heard a friend's hi hi system and I thought I'd get into the game as well as I was blown away with the quality it offered. After hearing what I can get for my money over different price ranges I've kind of settled for this level of low-mid range system. I went into a shop in York and I had a demo with B&W 685s and CM1s through an RA-05. As I understand the RA-05 is the RA-04 with a remote. I prefer the CM1 sound to the 685, so I think I'll opt for those, the 685s sounded a bit too enveloping and the bass seemed a bit removed from the mid and top end, whereas the CM1s had a lot better synergy between the frequencies, although the bass was understandably weaker.

I liked what I heard in the shop, but would I get a lot more from a better amp? I really like the CM1s and even as a £100 upgrade from the 685s I think it's worth it, but that begs the question, would an upgrade of the amp do any better? I can't find a shop that stocks an RA-06 and the CM1, or at least noone had them both when I went in.

How much am I possibly losing out on with the RA-04? The guy in the shop that had RA-04s and CM1s said they go well, but the guy in the shop who only stocked the 600 series said it's not enough, and that the RA-04 suits the 600 but not the CM1...funny that :)

I'm just looking for a sensible and (relatively) unbiased opinion.

Are there any other options? The CA 650 with some Mezzos or Avianos looks good too. Obviously the sound is the main thing, but I like the look too, so Cyrus is out I'm afraid, anything else is fair game. I'm planning to use lossless and lossy MP3s with some CDs through my laptop or PS3 so I'll be using a DacMagic or Beresford probably.

I like to listen to anything from The Beatles, through prog rock, to Brit-pop, as well as classical stuff (one reason why i like the precision of the CM1s with respect to orchestral music)

Thanks in advance.

Firstly the CM1's will be better than 685. However, let's get real here: the difference between the two isn't night and day, so by the time you factor in the 'human element', after the initial exitment has paled (will all suffer from it), and memories start to fade on the 685's, this could take weeks or even months, depending how much you use it, you'll start asking yourself questions about was it worth spending the extra dough?

It happened to me when I bought my A65, replacing my Alpha 7. The differences are very subtle. So unless you are aiming at a serious amp upgrade too, like adding a power amp or going up to mid-price, I'd give it serious thought. Hence the reason why I've been fluffing over upgrading my Arcam.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. Sevenoaks in Bristol have a sale on until the end of the month making Saturday the only day I can have another listen, given the Bank Holiday and work. They have the RA-04 on for £220 and the 685s for £330, which is a bargain.

I'll have a listen, they have a Roksan Kandy 2 which would be a good benchmark for a better amp I suppose, I was looking at the Creek Evo 2. Depending on the outcome I'll have to decide between everything, but much cheaper 685s puts CM1s into doubt, £170 is a lot for the difference between the two.

And as for the power amp option, is the RA-04 improved that much by the RA-06?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts