Rotel or Rega

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to purchase a new CD player for my set up which consist of B&W CM6 and Rega Elex R. I am tossing between Rega Apollo R and Rotel RCD-1572. Any suggestions which one would be suitable for my system. I listen mostly pop and jazz music.

Sliced Bread

tansriloi said:
Hi, I am looking to purchase a new CD player for my set up which consist of B&W CM6 and Rega Elex R. I am tossing between Rega Apollo R and Rotel RCD-1572. Any suggestions which one would be suitable for my system. I listen mostly pop and jazz music.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but how are you finding the CM6 and Elex pairing? Is it too bright or ok?

Just asking as I've just added a streamer and it's got me in the mood to add a stereo amp too.

I'm currently using CM8's on the L&R.

Ta.

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sliced bread,

I wouldn’t say is bright, it was slightly on the brighter side when I paired it with a Rotel amp through the built in DAC. The Elex R made It more 3 dimensional and gave me more midrandge warmth. However I find the CM6 lacks low end oomph for the size and it will sound much fuller if you turn up the volume. I did compared it with the CM8 in the showroom and find the floorstanders tends to boom and made the high frequency muddy. I’m not saying CM8 was not good but CM6’s on top tweeter gave me more sparkle and detailed led me to purchased CM6 over the CM8.

Sliced Bread

tansriloi said:
Hi Sliced bread,

I wouldn’t say is bright, it was slightly on the brighter side when I paired it with a Rotel amp through the built in DAC. The Elex R made It more 3 dimensional and gave me more midrandge warmth. However I find the CM6 lacks low end oomph for the size and it will sound much fuller if you turn up the volume. I did compared it with the CM8 in the showroom and find the floorstanders tends to boom and made the high frequency muddy. I’m not saying CM8 was not good but CM6’s on top tweeter gave me more sparkle and detailed led me to purchased CM6 over the CM8.

Thanks tansriloi, that is certainly helpful...and I like a bit of midrange warmth so sounds like it’s worth a demo.

I know what you mean on the cm8’s too. When I first got them I loved them but that was because they have an awesome midrange. Over time I’ve found the bass to be a bit soulless and the treble is a bit rough. For me though as they are part of a 5.1 system I would have to replace all 5 main speakers to upgrade, which makes it a very costly exercise. With that said the CM6 could probably insert without issue.

current goal is to stil in a stereo amp that works with the existing speakers then maybe think about changing them way down the line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts