denontillidie

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to move to japan and am going to have to get rid of a load of stuff. At present i have a pair of b&w cm8 speakers and a rotel 1062 amp.

I am going to have to get rid of the speakers regardless for logistical issues, but am not sure about the amp.

I can get it converted to 110v no problem but i have always found the system i have to be too forward and tiring. Is this a characteristic of rotel amps or should i stick with it and hope that another make of speaker might melllow it out a bit.

Thanks.

insider9

Lucky you, sounds exciting!

I'd sell for two reasons. First don't like the sound, second it's likely that you'll have access to wonderful gear while you're there which would be hard to obtain anywhere else. Obviously, less hassle and chances of damage when in transit if you'd sell.

I don't know about prices and availability though.

insider9

No surprise there that Japanese prefer their own brands. I'd go for a nice vintage amp if I were you. By that I mean something even older than your Rotel. Any of the brands you mention as well as Yamaha and Technics. I'd suggest going by weight as it's usually a good indicator.

I've not heard any Rotel amplification that I recall. What you're experiencing with B&W plus Rotel combo is likely due to components matching, especially with these speakers. I'm currently using circa 2000 Sony amplification and it's spot on with vintage speakers. Neutral and not either forward or tiring.

You'll have so much choice when you're there that if you don't get something you like I'd really be surprised.

denontillidie

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Sony amps are really nice. My dad bought one back in the nineties and it is still good. Something that is a joy to listen to rather than just getting a headache

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
No surprise there that Japanese prefer their own brands. I'd go for a nice vintage amp if I were you. By that I mean something even older than your Rotel. Any of the brands you mention as well as Yamaha and Technics. I'd suggest going by weight as it's usually a good indicator.

I've not heard any Rotel amplification that I recall. What you're experiencing with B&W plus Rotel combo is likely due to components matching, especially with these speakers. I'm currently using circa 2000 Sony amplification and it's spot on with vintage speakers. Neutral and not either forward or tiring.

You'll have so much choice when you're there that if you don't get something you like I'd really be surprised.

They have so much amazing high end kit from the 60s, 70s and 80s that never came to Europe and the US. That would be all I want to try in Japan. Also consider Accuphase and Luxman are significantly cheaper and available there.

rainsoothe

denontillidie said:
Hi,

I am about to move to japan and am going to have to get rid of a load of stuff. At present i have a pair of b&w cm8 speakers and a rotel 1062 amp.

I am going to have to get rid of the speakers regardless for logistical issues, but am not sure about the amp.

I can get it converted to 110v no problem but i have always found the system i have to be too forward and tiring. Is this a characteristic of rotel amps or should i stick with it and hope that another make of speaker might melllow it out a bit.

Thanks.

If the cm8 are first gen and they were anytging like cm5, they are pretty warm/fat sounding speakers. So if they felt forward and tiresome with the 1062, you won't have an easy time finding speakers to tame it that much more. Also, the 1062 is pretty well regarded, and there aren't many to be found (if at all) on the used market, so might land you a pretty penny.
So, if you can afford one, I'll +1 Vladimir's Accuphase and Luxman suggestions. If it's too steep, you might just look at Arcam + Focal Aria range of speakers. But, being in Japan, local stuff should be really nice to try.

insider9

rainsoothe said:
denontillidie said:
Hi,

Thanks.

If the cm8 are first gen and they were anytging like cm5, they are pretty warm/fat sounding speakers. So if they felt forward and tiresome with the 1062, you won't have an easy time finding speakers to tame it that much more. Also, the 1062 is pretty well regarded, and there aren't many to be found (if at all) on the used market, so might land you a pretty penny.
So, if you can afford one, I'll +1 Vladimir's Accuphase and Luxman suggestions. If it's too steep, you might just look at Arcam + Focal Aria range of speakers. But, being in Japan, local stuff should be really nice to try.
CM8s had the dreaded "require careful partnering with electronics" as a negative in their WHF review.

Which seems to indicate they're nothing like CM5 you described.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've visited Japan twice and loved it both times. Tokyo (if that's where you're going) is an amazing city. Vibrant and modern but has a kind of 'village' feel about it too. I remember being in a small coffee shop on one visit, where the coffee was great and the sound quality of the music playing was excellent. It turned out to be an ancient Quad 33/303 Amp and a pair of equally old no-name (that I could discern) floorstanders.

My point is that there are probably a lot more people over there who are HiFi enthusiasts and your experience will be much richer for it. I would sell all my gear here and enjoy what's on offer when you get there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts