Rotel 1520 CDP+Amp. Speakers ?

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
I've heard good things about the Rotel 1520 combo and I love the look of them. As for speakers, I'm open to suggestions. I mainly listen to rock (British Sea Power, Kings of Leon, the foo's etc) but also have a love of stuff from Zero7, Elbow and others like them. I also occasionally listen to classical and jazz. I tend to prefer a warm sound with no sibilance in the treble and I like a good extended bass. If I had to pick a particular element of music I'd want to really emphasise it would be voice, I suppose. I'm open to bookshelf speakers (on stands) or floorstanders. My only problem with bookshelf's would be if they really lacked bass as I'd rather not use a sub. My listening room is around 35sqm, 10ft ceiling and carpeted. My budget is £1k. I know I need to demo them myself before making a decision, but I'd like to know which ones to organise a demo of beforehand. Thank you in advance for any advice. Gary.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you prefer emphasis on the voice, you'll be needing a speaker with a clear, detailed midrange.

Have a look at the KEF Q series, whose UniQ driver digs deep into the mix and uncovers detail that other speakers fail to hint at. They're also a very three dimensional sounding loudspeaker. Also, take a look at the Monitor Audio RX2's, and possibly the GS10's as they're an outgoing model, so you'll be able to pick them up for RX money. Dynaudio's DM2/7's might do it for you, as might the Neat Motive 3's, although they may not quite be big enough for the room. KEF's XQ 20's are worth a listen as they're a little leaner in the bass than some speakers, and concentrate more on the mid and treble strengths of the UniQ design. PMC's DB1i's are a good little speaker, but I find the midrange performance of the ATC SCM11's better, but with the lower sensitivity of the ATC's, more peer is needed to bring out the best in them. In my experience, the 1520 will drive them adequately, but can be a little rough in the treble at higher frequencies. Lastly, ProAc's Studio 115 is proving very popular at the £1k mark, and is very close to becoming the most popular choice at this price point.

You may have noticed that I've only recommended standmount loudspeakers. This is because they tend to produce a better soundstage, and more detailed midrange and bass when compared to floorstanders under the £1k mark. The extra bass of floorstanders at this price point tends to smother mid and treble detail. A far more solid, three-dimensional sound can usually had from a well designed standmount.

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi David, thanks for the advice. Which of these you mentioned dig deep bass-wise ?

My concern is that I'm currently using a set of KEF Q1 on Atacama Nexus stands and, although I love the stereo imaging they present and the bass is clear as a bell, they really do lack extension.

I'm looking for an upgrade in the bass department as much as anything else really, that's why I was initially thinking of a small floorstander. But I do agree that a stand mounted speaker has qualities more relevant to my tastes.

Quickben:I've heard good things about the Rotel 1520 combo and I love the look of them. As for speakers, I'm open to suggestions. I mainly listen to rock (British Sea Power, Kings of Leon, the foo's etc) but also have a love of stuff from Zero7, Elbow and others like them. I also occasionally listen to classical and jazz. I tend to prefer a warm sound with no sibilance in the treble and I like a good extended bass. If I had to pick a particular element of music I'd want to really emphasise it would be voice, I suppose. I'm open to bookshelf speakers (on stands) or floorstanders. My only problem with bookshelf's would be if they really lacked bass as I'd rather not use a sub. My listening room is around 35sqm, 10ft ceiling and carpeted. My budget is £1k. I know I need to demo them myself before making a decision, but I'd like to know which ones to organise a demo of beforehand. Thank you in advance for any advice. Gary.

Not heard the new Kefs... I'm a hi-fi bore at the moment, but Totem Arro are brilliant speakers: They are discreet and have a rhythmic snap that belies the size titchy size. Well worth making the effort and audition a pair...

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Which KEF's do you currently own?

I have a pair of Q1's, in which my three yr-old has kindly podged in the aluminium tweeter cover. Little bugg3r. It's kind of messed up the sound-staging and the treble sounds a little flat. I rang KEF and they said it only costs around £40 per speaker to repair if I did it myself (they said it was easy to do) but I'm not sure when I'll get round to it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q or XQ will be quite an upgrade over the Q1's
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS