ROTEL 04SE Need Help Choosing Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have been reading What HIFI reviews and forum for a while now. I am looking at budget setup that would allow me to listen music from my Ipad/NAS (WIFI via airport express) and also listen to tv (at this stage 5.1 is not important). Also i would like to get a record player at a later stage.

I have auditioned few setups and I was not really happy :( . Some of the setup that i lisened are

Cambridge audio( base model) with Monitor Audio BR2( not punchy )

Nad( base model) with same speakers was better but still not great

Audiolab 8000 series sounded good to me but a little bit out of my range. I also had alook at Peachtree with B&W 685's and fatman tube carbon2 with PSB speakers.

Long story short I got a good price on Rotel 04 SE and now I need to get me some speakers. I am tossing between Epos M51 and ELS8. Problem is i can not find dealers that stock both and not sure if they would let me bring my amp with me.

Any other suggestions in this price range? I live in Sydney Australia

Thanks

Edo

PS I listen to Metal,Punk and some ska :)

edo75 said:
Hi

I have been reading What HIFI reviews and forum for a while now. I am looking at budget setup that would allow me to listen music from my Ipad/NAS (WIFI via airport express) and also listen to tv (at this stage 5.1 is not important). Also i would like to get a record player at a later stage.

I have auditioned few setups and I was not really happy :( . Some of the setup that i lisened are

Cambridge audio( base model) with Monitor Audio BR2( not punchy )

Nad( base model) with same speakers was better but still not great

Audiolab 8000 series sounded good to me but a little bit out of my range. I also had alook at Peachtree with B&W 685's and fatman tube carbon2 with PSB speakers.

Long story short I got a good price on Rotel 04 SE and now I need to get me some speakers. I am tossing between Epos M51 and ELS8. Problem is i can not find dealers that stock both and not sure if they would let me bring my amp with me.

Any other suggestions in this price range? I live in Sydney Australia

Thanks

Edo

PS I listen to Metal,Punk and some ska :)

Hi Edo

What speakers did you hear Audiolab's 8000 Series with?

Did you hear the RA-04SE before you bought one? If so, what speakers were used?

In the mean time Monitor Audio's BX2 speakers are also worth a look. The BX2's are are certainly a lot cleaner and more punchier sounding than the BR2's.

Btw, i can't see no reason as to why the dealers would not let you take your RA-04SE with you. I suppose there in only one way to find out :)

Btw, what speaker cables will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick thanks for your reply.

They had MA BX5 set up with Audiolab and i think RX2 ( so i heard both). I was happy with the sound but couldn't really spend that much money.

I have auditioned Rotel couple of times once with B&W 685 ( about $900 in OZ) which i liked and on the weekend they had PSB B6 setup which i didn't care for. I quite like sound of Rotel just getting to audition with right speakers is proving a bit of a chalenge.

Most shops that stock rotel don't stock speakers i would like to try...

I will definetlly call around and see if i can take my amp and audition MA BX2.

Speaker cable? Do you have any recomendations?

Just to make things more complicated what do you thing of Usher Audio S520 ( again no store in Sydney stock Ushers ) so i can not audition :( .

Thanks

Edo

A

Anonymous

Hi

I would love to get B&W 685's but my budget doesn't strech that far. I am looking at speakers up to 600 aus dollars. B&W and KEF q300 are about $900-$1000 in australia.

Regards

Edo

edo75 said:
Rick thanks for your reply.

They had MA BX5 set up with Audiolab and i think RX2 ( so i heard both). I was happy with the sound but couldn't really spend that much money.

I have auditioned Rotel couple of times once with B&W 685 ( about $900 in OZ) which i liked and on the weekend they had PSB B6 setup which i didn't care for. I quite like sound of Rotel just getting to audition with right speakers is proving a bit of a chalenge.

Most shops that stock rotel don't stock speakers i would like to try...

I will definetlly call around and see if i can take my amp and audition MA BX2.

Speaker cable? Do you have any recomendations?

Just to make things more complicated what do you thing of Usher Audio S520 ( again no store in Sydney stock Ushers ) so i can not audition :( .

Thanks

Edo

Hi Edo

Thanks for your repkly and your welcome.

I've not heard the S-520's however Usher audio have got an excellent reputation so the S-520's should be also be good speakers :)

As for speaker cables i'll highly recommend using just standard 79 strand OFC or at a push standard 500 strand OFC type as i feel these speaker cables will be more than good enough for the components which you're looking at. You should also be able to find these cables at local electrical stores.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick

Thanks for your suggestion for speaker cables. I had a look at some shops in OZ and most are ratetd In AWG so would something like tihis be OK http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25m-90-strand-OFC-Speaker-Cable-Buy-Bulk-and-SAVE-/370440813962?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item563ffe3d8a.

I have also spoken to a couple of shops and they will let me use my amp to audition speakers. I will be auditioning KEF Q300, Epos Epic2,B&W 685,Hopefully Dyna Audio2/6. Still finding a shop that have Monitor Audio and are willing to let me bring my amp.I ll let you know which speakers sounded good to me. Again thanks for your advice.

Regards

Edo

edo75 said:
Rick

Thanks for your suggestion for speaker cables. I had a look at some shops in OZ and most are ratetd In AWG so would something like tihis be OK http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25m-90-strand-OFC-Speaker-Cable-Buy-Bulk-and-SAVE-/370440813962?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item563ffe3d8a.

I have also spoken to a couple of shops and they will let me use my amp to audition speakers. I will be auditioning KEF Q300, Epos Epic2,B&W 685,Hopefully Dyna Audio2/6. Still finding a shop that have Monitor Audio and are willing to let me bring my amp.I ll let you know which speakers sounded good to me. Again thanks for your advice.

Regards

Edo

Hi Edo

Your welcome.

Yes, those speker cables will do the job nicely :)

Fwiw, from the four models which you've mentioned i would without hesitation opt for Dynaudio's DM 2/6's as not only are the dm 2/6's superb speakers however their overall tonal presentation will be an excellent match for the upfront presentation of the RA-04SE :rockout: My alternative choice would be the 685's.

Anyway what about Usher Audio's S-520's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Usher Audio's S-520's i'll have to buy blind (from Melbourne) no shop in Sydney stock Ushers. Thay are at least half the price of B&W, KEF Q300, Epos Epic2 so i am still very tempted to buy blind but not befor i audition other speakers

Also is there much difference between Dynaudio 2/6 and 2/7?

Edo

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Edo,

I'm up in Darwin mate, I ordered some Dynaudio Excite X-12's from Melbourne and I love them, smooth, ears don't get fatigued, good fun work with anything you throw at them. BUT while I do have a sub I do regret not moving up to the 16's for that extra scale, but the 12's are still almost there for me. I guess it depends on your room size, volume you want to play at, what you listen to. Funny enough I also own a pair of B&W 685's which I also bought blind and prob my biggest regret, I just find them too bright, that said people always are saying Rotel and B&W go well together, I have never had the opportunity to try the combo. I now use my B&W's as a Centre and a Rear in a 6.1. Anyway I was just giving Dynaudio a plug and suggesting the 2/7's if can stretch the budget., I guess just need to listen to a few, options up here are extremely limited so I bought blind...twice...

A

Anonymous

I got a spare pair of Q Acoustic 2010 and was thinking about upgrading my PC sound by hooking it with a decent amp and 2010s. Any idea how does Rotel works with those ? I mean is it a good match or should I look somewhere else ? I listen to rock, blues, triphop, same jazz and electro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts