room size???

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
What is in your opinion a small dedicated listening room. would a room 11.5 feet by 12 be considered small or medium. More so would a set of Proac D28's be too big set up properly

A

Anonymous

It looks a bad size to me, basically it's a square which is the worst type of room to have as all the walls are equal. With the room being small you'll end up with a lot of bass build up, I don't know proac D28, but before spending money i'd measure, if possible, the room to see what modes and nodes you may have, I would imagine around 50-60Hz, which will be a nightmare to tame, you need alot of bass trapping to get a smooth freq response.

A

Anonymous

i'd measure, if possible, the room to see what modes and nodes you may have, I would imagine around 50-60Hz

So how does that work?

A

Anonymous

There is a simple way by using a freq sweep test disc and a sound pressure metre, then you can test how your room responds to the tones on the freq test cd, put the microphone in your listening position and test each freq, it will give you a general idea.

I use a PC and a programme by XTZ and measure to room using a more accurate microphone, you measure in 3 place and the programme will show you the respone of your room.

My room is heavily treated, it looks a bit weird, but it's great to talk in, and presents a massive soundstage, it's not finished yet, but very good sounding.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:What is in your opinion a small dedicated listening room. would a room 11.5 feet by 12 be considered small or medium. More so would a set of Proac D28's be too big set up properly

Small/medium. Ceiling height is just as important as width/length when it comes to modes. The only way to determine whether they (28's) suit you is to try them in your room. Did'nt you post this exact question before or am I wrong?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Its like this, Iam more curious to see what my brothers in the UK would consider a room for the proac's, when you read the stuff in NA they talk about rooms 25 feet wide 12 feet high etc, who really owns houses that big anyhow. Some do, but I'm sure the average don't and to prove my point everyone still says the same thing. What is the answer, what is a small room give me some dimensions. Or not to be rude what would some smaller room dimensions be in the UK and medium and a large one.
p.s. my ceiling are 9 feet
A word to your troups in my town, they have my total support and shake there hands when ever you can

TRENDING THREADS