Room size: PMC GB1i or TB2i -- or trouble??

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a fairly large, open plan room: 8.2m (26.9') x 4.2m (13.7') with a 2.4m (7.8') ceiling although another room 6 sq m (9' x 6') eats into a corner of the main area. I also have both climate and sound insulation in the ceiling, if that makes any diff...

Which of these speakers would work better (assuming one will)?

The three differences in the speakers are (1) the cabinets: GB1i - H x W x D: 870mm (34.25") x 155mm (6.1") x 234mm (9.21") compared to the TB2i - H x W x D: 400mm (15.75") x 200mm (7.87") x 300mm (11.8"); (2) the Transmission Line in the GB1i is 2.4m (7.8') compared to 1.5m (5') in the TB2i while (3) the GB has a 140mm mid / bass driver compared to the TB's 170mm.

I'd be grateful for your input...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi mate, and welcome to the mad house!

I'd definitely go with the floorstanders for that size room. They'd both work, but the TB2i looks a little too small to do themselves justice with that amount of space.

The Spendor A3 or A5 floorstanders are worth a listen, too. Slightly sweeter top end according to my cauliflower ears.

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin and thanks. I'm a newbie at pretty much all of this, just a cuppla months' research to try to catch up, a little, from many moons ago.

I plan to place the speakers on the one 8.2m long wall, either side of a 152cm (5') entertainment unit, so they would be firing across the width, the narrow way. As one looks towards the unit, the right speaker would sit just inside the line of the small room's 2m wall (if this wall continued to seal the room, it would then be about 5.4m x the 4.2m ... Shite!! I hope you're confused. I'm blaming sleep deprivation and the Bris Aus 'culture').

BTW I have some options but due to an odd inability to audition any speakers on my primary audition list -- NONE, to my knowledge, is stocked in Bris (Epos, Usher, Castle, Legend, PMC, of course, etc etc) -- peers are having a big say (and I'm largely playing safe). I'll at least have plenty of grunt: Anthem 225, most likely.

Thumpa said:
Hi plastic penguin and thanks. I'm a newbie at pretty much all of this, just a cuppla months' research to try to catch up, a little, from many moons ago.

I plan to place the speakers on the one 8.2m long wall, either side of a 152cm (5') entertainment unit, so they would be firing across the width, the narrow way. As one looks towards the unit, the right speaker would sit just inside the line of the small room's 2m wall (if this wall continued to seal the room, it would then be about 5.4m x the 4.2m ... Shite!! I hope you're confused. I'm blaming sleep deprivation and the Bris Aus 'culture').

BTW I have some options but due to an odd inability to audition any speakers on my primary audition list -- NONE, to my knowledge, is stocked in Bris (Epos, Usher, Castle, Legend, PMC, of course, etc etc) -- peers are having a big say (and I'm largely playing safe). I'll at least have plenty of grunt: Anthem 225, most likely.

Good. The reason for the question is my room is 13' wide and my RS6s (similar dimensions to GB1is) fire across the width.

About a week ago I phoned and spoke to PMC themselves for advice about TB2 and GB1s. He advised me to go with the GB1 as opposed to the TBs, and here's why: firstly, the GBs have the letterbox port firing at the front, the TBs are rear. And secondly, the overall dimensions - apart from height - of the GBs are more compact. All this, according to him, makes them more flexible in terms of placement. Based on his advice, the GB1s should work well about 12" from the wall, although I've yet to put into practise.

Hope that helps.

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Good morning!! I do feel at home, already...

Really sorry for MIA, took the Rotts for a trot to mellow them out for the night ... worked for me, unfortunately!

The Spendors? Thanks a lot, mate!! The Spendors were well on the list, prices look more favorable today?? Ordinarily, the A5 would be cheaper than the GB1i (not at all as I recalled it) but I've struck an ex-display GB which puts it alongside the A3. Hmmm...

I may have to bring my other "problem" into the debate: the Usher Be718. Although a standmount, it's huge: between 1.5kg and 7.5kg heavier than all the above, with a 7-inch mid-bass driver and a one-and-a-quarter inch diamond tweeter, in a cabinet (w x d x h) 258 x 428mm x 387 mm. And it's AU$300 cheaper with its stands, $700 better without. This was my original dilemma, until room size was mentioned...

It's hard to ignore Wes Phillips' comparison in a US mag of the Usher with the Dynaudio Confidence C1 -- just AU$8,000.

"The sonic resemblance was remarkable. The Confidence C1 really is remarkable—but at (a quarter of) its price, the Be-718 came eerily close ... (and) I wouldn't bet my paycheck on the difference between them. Both were scary good."

Hmmm...

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey plastic penguin, in replying to your earlier post I got lost in checking out the interesting GB v TB question (I'll post it soon).

I haven't scrapped the GBs at all.

What I do have is two excellent and at this stage (today) certain deals on display stock: the GBs at a third off and the Ushers -- which seem ridiculously inexpensive / excellent value for money in any case, according to reviews and awards (weight those how you wish) -- abt 20pc off. The Dyns came up in this case simply out of the cited review on the Ushers...

I also have to make up my mind. But I'm finding that process not only frustrating but farcical. I'm going to spend a fair bit of money on a complete kit -- and I haven't heard it, any of it... That could be a definition of insanity. I have a love / hate deal with Brisbane (which is the largest city in Oz behind Syd / Melb). If I were in Melb, I'd be able to hear 90pc of the kit I wished to, with all sorts of partnering, in one shop. I could do it in a couple of hours. And I cld walk to another shop to hear the other 10pc. And this seems to be representative of all the other capitals (not as easily as in Melb, tho)

I'm actually all but sure I'll go with the GBs (a) cos they're floorstanders and (b) cos I organised a return situation, if nec.

While I haven't met PMC's rep at Neotec, Don, he's an absolute gentleman and a contributing factor in my slightly favouring PMC.

While I'm bordering on having a spit, you should go to a currency conversion site and check out the some of the mark-up on some of the Brit gear. It's absurd. Nothing to do with the UK (as far as I know). At the moment, however, there are some excellent deals to be had...

I just hope my research / intuition / LUCK is good enough.. and that I've got a heap of karma credit..

NB: If I go to the Coast -- and I go only north or NSW -- I wanna hit the beach

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts