Roksan M2 amp with fan

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
As I was reading through the winners from last year I bounced into the Roksan M2. As I'm not familiair with this brand I read the specs. Now I've got a question: why does the M2 has a fan for cooling? I suspect the M2 is a typical class AB amp, so I just can't understand why they added a fan to it.

And secondly, are there readers with this amp? Does the fan does not bother you? I can imagine you can hear it...

Anyone?

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I have heard the M2. It is a very fine integrated, although I'm still undecided if it is a right choice for my system.

I'm just tickled that someone else should mention the one trivial (?) thing about the M2 that does bother me a bit - that darn fan!!! :shame: I'm not worried about any sound it makes as I don't play my music at whisper levels, and I didn't hear anything untoward during the demo. I just can't disassociate the thought that the fanblades are some plasticky affair like my USB-powered PC fan. Plus, the fact that the M2 is vented suggests that the fan is going to pull in sticky dust particles onto its blades and will need periodical cleaning - and I'm someone who wipes his household fans every fortnight as the sight of dust-coated blades really gets to me. :O

Oh, I just decided... I'll prolly give this M2 the pass. :D Hopefully the next M3 will be a sealed-box affair like Quad 909. :D

SS

ps: these WHF emoticons aren't WYSIWYG at all. The ones that are published are different from the ones on the panel! :wall:

edit: except for the last one :p

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my thoughts. But I'm really interested in user experiences. Because by all means this looks like a fantastic amp within it's price range, but I can't help thinking that this fan thing is going to be a problem when the amp get's older.

My PM-78 is running for about 15 years without any failures, but I don't know any PC fan that lasts that long :-(

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't own one but have spent an hour or 2 listening to one in Sevenoaks. The fan kicks in at medium volume levels so should be effectively silent. However, very few fans last well & can cause overheating when they do fail!

I work surrounded by test equipment - you wouldn't believe the din they make after a few years. Because I repair stuff, I do make friends after replacing them!

The M2 was a fine amp with a decent learning remote & pretty good rmote control of volume. It had pretty good control over the bass as well! The M2 is not alone in using fan assisted cooling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts