Roksan Kandy2 versus Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite (amplifiers)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a new amplifier. So far I have auditioned the 6 amplifiers:

Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite

NAD C356BEE and NAD C375BEE

Arcam A28

Yamaha A-S500 and A-S2000

on 3 separate occasions and have "thought, or felt" that the Marantz was offering me the overall combination of "price/quality/sound" to satisfy me. The others in the group are still within the budget though.

Just as I was about to buy the Marantz (70w per channel), a friend of mine has brought to my attention a Roksan Kandy2 (120w per channel) that is available at a price slightly above that of the Marantz', and insisted that I give it a try as it offers 120w per channel. The problem is that I can not try the Roksan as the shop in question is too from where I am.

I hear that Roksan sounds on the "bright" side, and performs well when played out loud.

The music that I like is jazz (piano), classical music, bossa nova, etc., and I don't like to play it too loud.

Should I take the trouble and arrange an audition for the Roksan Kandy2? Buy it without listening? Or, simply ignore it and buy the Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite?

note: The speakers will be tried and bought after (according to) the amplifier selection. The source is a CD player and (is going to be) an internet radio. My room is 50 m2. I will be seated within 4-5 meters distance from the speakers.

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

The Roksan is a superb amp and well deserving of its reviews and awards but I do agree that for your taste in music it's more than likely not going to be the right amp

BUT

Only YOU can really tell this by demoing it with speakers and source of YOUR choice etc...

For me the Yamaha AS2000 would be the one to go for; it has a very detaild yet smooth sound and works superbly at low volumes as well as when being driven hard. It's a fairly smooth sound IMO and would suit your musical tastes well

However without knowing the main source or speakers; it can be a hard affair to come up with more constructive ideas etc...

Are you able to demo Rega seperates at all; even the likes of the Leema Pulse or the Creek Evo II amp would be worth demoing...

What about 2nd hand seperates; are you open to that idea at all or does it have to be all new?

Debutant said:
I need a new amplifier. So far I have auditioned the 6 amplifiers:

Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite

NAD C356BEE and NAD C375BEE

Arcam A28

Yamaha A-S500 and A-S2000

on 3 separate occasions and have "thought, or felt" that the Marantz was offering me the overall combination of "price/quality/sound" to satisfy me. The others in the group are still within the budget though.

Just as I was about to buy the Marantz (70w per channel), a friend of mine has brought to my attention a Roksan Kandy2 (120w per channel) that is available at a price slightly above that of the Marantz', and insisted that I give it a try as it offers 120w per channel. The problem is that I can not try the Roksan as the shop in question is too from where I am.

I hear that Roksan sounds on the "bright" side, and performs well when played out loud.

The music that I like is jazz (piano), classical music, bossa nova, etc., and I don't like to play it too loud.

Should I take the trouble and arrange an audition for the Roksan Kandy2? Buy it without listening? Or, simply ignore it and buy the Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite?

note: The speakers will be tried and bought after (according to) the amplifier selection. The source is a CD player and (is going to be) an internet radio. My room is 50 m2. I will be seated within 4-5 meters distance from the speakers.

Thank you.

The Kandy K2 is not bright. It is fairly smooth and is a fabulous amp with the right speakers and environment.

What are the main attributes you look for in music repro?

Have you thought about Creek Evo 2 or Rotel? The Nads are a good option, but as always you need to take time and listen to few different amps/speaker combos.

A

Anonymous

[hifilover1979 wrote] :"What about 2nd hand seperates; are you open to that idea at all or does it have to be all new?"

No problems with 2nd hand equipment as long as the source is reliable.

[plastic penguin wrote] : "What are the main attributes you look for in music repro?"

If one would be allowed to use the "wine jargon", then "round, full bodied sound with smooth aftertaste" would be my answer.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Debutant said:

note: The speakers will be tried and bought after (according to) the amplifier selection. My room is 50 m2. I will be seated within 4-5 meters distance from the speakers.

hi

have you considered tube gear? for your music preferences both in style and sound it should be a perfect match. besides you don't need 120Wpc power in a 50m2 room, especially if you intend on listening not too loud. more power is good if you listen to a lot of highly dynamic music with wide dynamic range (something like Wagner's music) and if you choose 3-way spekers. then Kandy will do you good. otherwise consider tubes. Icon Audio makes most affordable tube gear that I know. Prima Luna is also within this price range and budget gear from Prima Luna is very well regarded in audiophile magazines. amps from these manufacturers should work well with normal speakers too because they are in fact quite gutsy for tube gear.

hope this helps

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't get the amp without hearing it through the speakers you intend to use it with first. If you haven't yet decided on speakers, then I'd be listening to both speaker and amp combinations.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The Roksan is a veyr nice amp. It will sound very good with your choice of music too. Very relaxing.

And it has 120 watt's so you can enjoy it for a long time as it will drive almost all speakers

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The Roksan is a very nice amp. It will sound very good with your choice of music too. Very relaxing.

And it has 120 watt's so you can enjoy it for a long time as it will drive almost all speakers.

I heard it for long listening sessions with Monitor Audio Rx 6 and Qef Q700 and it maid them both sing.

I bought my Naim 5i-2 set 2nd hand for a nice price otherwise I would have bought the Roksan Kandy.

Cheers

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I heard the Marantz pearl Lite amplifier and Cd combination. I much prefer it to the Roksan combination. I found the Marantz full bodied and atmospheric. It was great with classical and some ambient music. It's not the last word in detail - this wouldn't worry me though as the alternative is often harsh, digitised and somewhat artificial detail. Given the music you like the almost tube like Marantz amplifier is a good bet. It's also about £699 in most shops too.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I heard the Marantz pearl Lite amplifier and Cd combination. I much prefer it to the Roksan combination. I found the Marantz full bodied and atmospheric. It was great with classical and some ambient music. It's not the last word in detail - this wouldn't worry me though as the alternative is often harsh, digitised and somewhat artificial detail. Given the music you like the almost tube like Marantz amplifier is a good bet. It's also about £699 in most shops too.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I heard the Marantz Pearl Lite and it is a very good Value for Money at that price. I have heard most of the Marantz range uptil PM-11 and I still feel that Pearl Lite is the best VFM they have in their range. Having said this, Marantz has a kind of sound which flows through the entire range and I would not call it Warm but clean and can tend to touch bright. The lower ranges until 800X are tipping to the bright side and 15 above are tipping towards analytical side. So Pearl Lite is the best bet.

However all of this is irrelevant when it comes to playing Rock (fortunately your sound spectrum preference is more towards the Jazz / Classical) which Marantz does full justice.

Though speakers play a role - What you are doing is the best way to start, IMO. Also, the sound alterning done by speakers seems less subjective and more universal. If I say that Dynaudio Contour S1.4 produce too much of bass, you will not hear many people saying something completely tangential.

Source is very very important too. The Pearl Lite CD player is a real gem.

All the best!

A

Anonymous

Thank you all. You've been very helpful. Have a good weekend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts