roksan kandy mkIII vs caspian mk1 amplifier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Invented by Hitachi.

Have you a source for that ?

My search tells me that the first high power audio MOSFET was invented in 1974 by Prof. Jun' Ichi Nishizawa at Tokuko university (for Yamaha, with their backing and backing from Japan's Technology Development Foundation) and that Yamaha implemented it first - in 1976 - in a commercial audio power-amplifier.

Hitachi developed their lateral, audio power MOSFETs a few years later...

clicky

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:
Invented by Hitachi.

Have you a source for that ?

My search tells me that the first high power audio MOSFET was invented in 1974 by Prof. Jun' Ichi Nishizawa at Tokuko university (for Yamaha, with their backing and backing from Japan's Technology Development Foundation) and that Yamaha implemented it first - in 1976 - in a commercial audio power-amplifier.

Hitachi developed their lateral, audio power MOSFETs a few years later...

clicky

Well sorted Chebb. I thought Hitachi's lateral power MOSFETs were the first one. *good*

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The Kandy is more powerfull and warm, tube or class A like, comparable to Arcam, Rega, Creek, Accuphase. The Caspian is more exciting and bright class B like, comparable to Naim, Exposure or the Leema.

Despite the fact the Kandy has more power, the Caspian sounds louder and more powerfull. This is because it has higher gain by 3dB in the preamp section and goes louder much sooner on the volume knob. This also means the Caspian will go much quicker into clipping than the Kandy.

The Caspian has bit more damping factor which may or may not translate into tighter bass with some speakers. Kandy 110 DF, Caspian 160DF, Leema Pulse 177, not that much difference when you consider a Rotel has 1000 DF. Naim has 12-15 DF usually.

A scientist is giving a public lecture. During the course of his speech, he predicts that in 100 billion years human life will become extinct. A man in the audience, obviously upset, asks the lecturer to repeat the statement. "I said", quotes the professor, "that in one hundred billion years, human life will no longer exist."

"Oh, thank goodness", replies the man, much relieved, "I thought you said one-hundred million!".

Nice article on damping factor here...

http://www.butleraudio.com/damping1.php

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
From top of my head Creek Destiny 2, 5350SE and 4330 use MOSFET, as well as Arcam Alpha series amps and all Roksan Kandy amps.

Mmmm... in that case, based on your theory that MOSFET gives a valvey/class A edge, have a guess which one is brighter: Arcam Alpha7R or Leema Pulse?

Brightness can be due to intentional voicing in the preamp to give the impression of speed, clarity. Also underpowered amps with weak current delivery will produce less bass and give the impression of brighter and faster sound. Power amp topology is not the only factor of final amplifier performance and "character."

Vladimir said:
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
From top of my head Creek Destiny 2, 5350SE and 4330 use MOSFET, as well as Arcam Alpha series amps and all Roksan Kandy amps.

Mmmm... in that case, based on your theory that MOSFET gives a valvey/class A edge, have a guess which one is brighter: Arcam Alpha7R or Leema Pulse?

Brightness can be due to intentional voicing in the preamp to give the impression of speed, clarity. Also underpowered amps with weak current delivery will produce less bass and give the impression of brighter and faster sound. Power amp topology is not the only factor of final amplifier performance and "character."

Indeed -- the notion, however, that MOSFET amps are better is really a misnomer and could be misleading to those who look at spec sheets rather than listening to a sound that appeals.

IMHO the Pulse demonstrates layers and textures that I've not heard below the 2k mark. Having said that, I'm not suggesting for one moment the difference between any £300-£1500 amp is night and day, but pointing out that because it has the MOSFET tag doesn't automatically make it superior. There's no amount of tech/paper spec that substitutes the lugholes.

BTW, MOSFET sounds like a Middle-Eastern military special services.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Haha. *biggrin* Far from MOSFET being superior to BJT or vice versa. They all have their merits, everything really depends on implementation and many amps combine them as hybrids to get the best of both worlds.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I've had the Roksan Caspian MK1 for the last 14 years and been very pleased with it. I wouldn't describe it as bright and it has never clipped or shown distortion. It shows good control. It has however, benefitted from being partnered with the Marantz Pearl Lite SACD, which is (slightly) on the warm side (thank goodness). My speakers are Neat Petit SX, which are very detailed and immediate sounding, but I do sometimes wish that I had waited a little longer and spent more time auditioning, in order to buy Harbeth or Spendor classic smallest offerings. To change my amp would be a very expensive purchase, more than £1000 to fix something that isn't broke and very difficult to justify.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts