Roksan Kandy K2

robertw

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Ive just bought a Roksan Kandy K2 amp and conected it to Tannoy Revolution DC 6T SE speakers and have found the bass to be uncontrolled .Is this a mis-match of the two or do others find the amp behaves in this way ? Any thoughts on how to improvr the bass would be welcome.

robertw

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The speakers are six months old and the amp is brand new but not the bluetooth version. The speakers are 40cm from the wall.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine the issue is more likely to be the speakers' relationship with the room than any fault of the Roksan. The K2 provides plenty of ooomph for controlling bass.

I couldn't be totally sure, but I assume that your Tannoys are rear-ported. You can try a few things: move the speakers further away from the rear wall (if your room permits this), use bungs for the bass ports or if neither of those things work, you can try some kind of room treatment (bass traps).

Moving speakers would be the preferable option to avoid side-effects. Also be careful about how close your speakers are to side walls: anywhere near corners can cause bad bass boom.

My rear-ported floorstanders are titchy compared to your Tannoys, and yet placed a similar distance from the rear wall as your speakers, without bunging the ports, the bass becomes a little too much, so I would imagine that the volume of air your Tannoys are shifting are causing a greater problem.

Many speakers come with supplied bungs (some KEFs come with 2-part bungs to tune the sound more finely). If you don't have bungs supplied you can try foam wash-up pads or socks. (Yes, I did just say that). I'd be careful not to bung the ports too much though as it tends to stifle the soundstage. I'm sure a bit of tinkering with placement and maybe the bungs will sort it.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
I would imagine the issue is more likely to be the speakers' relationship with the room than any fault of the Roksan. The K2 provides plenty of ooomph for controlling bass.

I couldn't be totally sure, but I assume that your Tannoys are rear-ported. You can try a few things: move the speakers further away from the rear wall (if your room permits this), use bungs for the bass ports or if neither of those things work, you can try some kind of room treatment (bass traps).

Moving speakers would be the preferable option to avoid side-effects. Also be careful about how close your speakers are to side walls: anywhere near corners can cause bad bass boom.

My rear-ported floorstanders are titchy compared to your Tannoys, and yet placed a similar distance from the rear wall as your speakers, without bunging the ports, the bass becomes a little too much, so I would imagine that the volume of air your Tannoys are shifting are causing a greater problem.

Many speakers come with supplied bungs (some KEFs come with 2-part bungs to tune the sound more finely). If you don't have bungs supplied you can try foam wash-up pads or socks. (Yes, I did just say that). I'd be careful not to bung the ports too much though as it tends to stifle the soundstage. I'm sure a bit of tinkering with placement and maybe the bungs will sort it.

I agree. I feel as though speaker placement is the issue here. The Kandy amps are quite punchy, I noticed a substantial difference when I switched over from my AVR, and adjusting speaker placement made a huge difference to the sound.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
When you say uncontrolled is this at normal volume or turned up?

The K2 is a pretty powerful amp - try turning it up slowley to the point just before things go south. Drive the speakers at that level for a few days then turn it up a little more if the speakers are newish the cones may need loosening a little - half a metre into the room is more tham enuff rear clearance for the port

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have the Roksan Kandy K2 amp and it is pretty powerful. Certainly brought out the bass in my Lektors. As they're in empty room corners I bought a pair of these which has helped reduce the bass boom.

http://www.advancedacoustics-uk.com/Studio-Acoustic-Foam-Treatment/Bass-Traps/Original-Bass-Trap-3ft-Acoustic-Studio-Foam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts