Roksan Kandy K2 / Tannoy DC6T / Acoustic Energy Radiance 2 - which speakers and amp for upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all!

I’d like to upgrade my NAD C350 amplifier and Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers to something higher quality. I was thinking of a Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier but aren’t sure about the speakers; perhaps the Tannoy DC6Ts or the Acoustic Energy Radiance 2s.

I’m worried that these speakers may not be a big enough difference to what I already have so am happy to spend up to £1,500 (on speakers) if there is a big jump in quality. What would you recommend? Also, what are people's views on my choice of amp? Will there be much of a difference?

I like a warm, musical, clean, open sound with lots of detail and depth, and listen to all genres of music (Indie, Electronic / 80's pop, Blues, Motown, Indian classical, R&B, Hip Hop, Jazz, Heavy Metal).

Many thanks!

Miggyboys

Setup:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch (ethernet connection to M-Dac)

Audiolab M-Dac

NAD C350 amplifier

Tannoy Revolution R2

Vortexbox

Marantz CD6000 OSE (not used much now as all my music is ripped to Flac)

Various Ixos interconnects

QED anniversary bi-wire

IMO few amps are as warm as Nad. The Kandy will be different to the Nad, but you'll need to hear one and decide. Looking at newer Nads like the 355 or 356 they'll offer a stiffer challenge to the Kandy.

Given your brief I'd look at Creek Evo2: Fabulously balanced sounding amp, and is very easy with system matching. The Creek is one of my favourite sub-£1000 integrated amps.

A

Anonymous

Hi Plastic Penguin

Thanks for your input and advice! I'd heard about the Creek Evo2 so I think it will definitely be on my list to audition. I do wonder whether NADs are warm also because of the tone controls they incorporate? I don't use the tone defeat/cut button and do use the bass / treble controls. It's interesting to see that even their higher end kit (including pre/power amps) have tone controls.

I'm also going to audition the Audiolab 8200A, which has had some good write ups though once again, I'm not sure if it will be warm enough....

What's your Leema Pulse MKII like? Warm or more pure and clinical?

Thanks

miggyboys said:
Hi Plastic Penguin

Thanks for your input and advice! I'd heard about the Creek Evo2 so I think it will definitely be on my list to audition. I do wonder whether NADs are warm also because of the tone controls they incorporate? I don't use the tone defeat/cut button and do use the bass / treble controls. It's interesting to see that even their higher end kit (including pre/power amps) have tone controls.

I'm also going to audition the Audiolab 8200A, which has had some good write ups though once again, I'm not sure if it will be warm enough....

What's your Leema Pulse MKII like? Warm or more pure and clinical?

Thanks

Some manufacturers retain tone controls. They are great IMO if you have a really crumby recording you can easily tweak with the one controls.

I do have a personal view on Nad's warmth... it is personal view: Because the Nad, generally, is fairly bass heavy, if partnered with the wrong source and/or you have poor room acoustics, the latter can accentuate the chunky bass and it turns into a harsh sound. However, this is guess work as the Nads I've dem'd over the years have always been in my living room.

As regards the Leema, yes a lovely sounding box. The Leema does major on stereo imaging and dynamics. In these areas I'd happily put up against far more expensive amps, although, in comparison, it won't have the bass definition or detail of pricier boxes, though.

The one cautionary note about the Leema is I wouldn't use any speaker with any treble forwardness, or sources that exhibit the same tonal traits. My RS6s do have forwardness but the CDP, tuner, TT, DVD player and room acoustics calm the amp/speaker combo down. My end result is a beautifully natural sound.

The Leema is no different from any other brand or component: In the right set-up they can all sound wonderful, get it wrong and it's tears at midnight.

EDIT - Have heard the Audiolabs, not the latest offering, and tbh they can sound very analytical or clinical.

A

Anonymous

The Leema sounds nice as does your setup. I agree with you - one man's dismay is another man's delight; it's all about partnering and most products are good, they just need to be used in the right setup.

It doesn't surprise me that the Audiolab 8200A could be clinical / clean sounding. The Audiolab M-DAC I have when added to my setup tightened up the sound in a very warm sounding system and added to the depth, detail and dynamics in a very musical way. I now hear notes / sounds / vocals come in earlier and vacate later, their dynamic range having been extended with beautiful depth and detail. A very fine product but I'm sure could be the wrong one if partnered in an already pure sounding system.

What you really need to do is listen to as many different set-ups as possible. System matching isn't an exact science. It took me close on two years to change from my old Arcam amp to the Leema. In between time I listened to most of the big hitters, and although they were all very good didn't offer the upgrade I was hoping for, except for the Creek Evo2. I only rejected that amp purely because it didn't have the inputs I needed. So I looked at more expensive amps like Naim Nait XS, Caspian, Audio Analogue, Bryston and Leema. Settled eventually for the Pulse because of its immense qualities, although the Caspian, XS and AA were on par in a lot of areas.

Because everyone hears something different due to room acoustics and partnering equipement, we usually advise to hear these amps for yourself and short-list the ones you like

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts